Lawnmower Recommendations.

Micahmcmeen

Looking at getting a new lawn mower, I've always used my sun Joe corded eletric, which I loved but I've moved to a house where the yard is too big to keep using it. I'm looking for a self propelled push mower. Recommendations?

You haven’t told us your budget but for a half acre I‘d be trying to get my hands on a 30” Toro Timemaster. They’re not much more than a top of the line 21” Honda and they are noticeably faster. Larger bag too if that matters.

Also since you’re coming from an electric you may not want to get into gas equipment. In that case the Toro 60v super recyclers are very impressive.
I have a gas john deer mower that was given to me but it wasn't running. I got it arunning and it's done ok for about 2 years but it's definitely on its last legs. I would bebwilling to spend up to 600 bucks on a mower if I knew it would have good longevity. I would prefer to stay around 400 though.

I know this is a little late, but I have the Self Propelled 60V Toro mower. It really is excellent. It's the same mower they've always made, but with a very powerful 60V motor instead of a gas engine. It has more real-world power than my Honda 190cc Snapper Commercial mower (which is a better mower due to it's commercial build quality) and the same power as my 6.5HP LawnBoy 2 stroke. It will easily mow knee high grass, just like the LawnBoy.

21356-lawn-mower-34r-co21_4812s-1600x1369.ashx

Lot of money for a steel deck and MTD

Agreed.
If all you want is four wheels, a deck, and have the desire to push it yourself, then an MTD is fine.
That kind of money for a MTD product with that feature set would be better spent on either a new or lightly used Toro.
That way dealer support is actual, and not whomever is working behind the counter at Menards, telling you that you need to find the nearest dealer service center.

Last edited:
I'm on the 4th year with my Honda and it's been problem-free, the cut is great, and it has plenty of power. I believe the model is HRX 217 or something like that. My Honda HS720 snowblower uses the same 190cc engine and has also been trouble free for the same period of time. If I ever need to replace another gas powered machine Honda will be getting my $$.

I have a Toro Super Recycler with the Honda engine, best of all worlds. The Honda mowers cut nice, but the drive is less comfortable to use at least for me, and the drive system is very expensive to fix. Like everything else the quality of the newer Honda mowers isn't the same as the old ones, I've had to repair/replace many drive systems for customers. I'm a Honda fan, and love their engines, ATVs, dirt bikes, etc, but their walk behind mowers are not their best effort in my opinion.

I think at least some of the Toros are overrated. Kind of crappy wheels, transmission problems, weak metal at the wheels that bends and the wheels and drive gears get misaligned, etc.

I like the Personal Pace push handle on typical terrain but found it annoying on tougher areas such as kind of steep hills/ditches. When wanting to maneuver with it on an incline, it's easy to push too hard on the handle, and then the mower moves faster than wanted. So I was getting more speed at a time when wanting less speed. I found myself putting one hand on the regular part of the handle and the other hand on the push-down drive handle. It's not a dealbreaker but was awkward.

My main RWD self-propelled mower broke recently so started using a backup MTD Gold FWD with adjustable speed, one-hand pull lever. I'd gladly use it over the RWD Personal Pace I had for a while and the FWD Toro before that that tracked poorly like it was constantly bouncing over potholes. I wish I still had that one so I could measure the wheel width. I'm wondering if the MTD wheels are a little wider and helps it stay on line better.

I have had my Troy Bilt TB130 for close to 10 years now and it has been great. It is not self propelled but that is what I wanted as it is just something else to go out on it.

It has the Honda motor. Starts first pull 99% of the time. After it’s been sitting in the shed all winter it might take two pulls but that’s it. I finally changed the oil in it after about 5 years. It just keeps on going, no rust, no holes in the deck. I highly recommend.

I bought her parents the TB190 ( I believe) that has self propelled

In 5 years you will wish you had a riding mower so why not go for it now. I was there, been there and now ride. Ed
I'm boggled by how many people would do this with a push mower. Even an old used $400 rider is better than a brand new push mower. I live in a rural area where nobody has less than 1/2 acre, but lots between 1/2 and 1 acre. Never see a push mower around here except a few pros with the giant ones.

I have about a 1/2 acre of grass and I won't do more than the front or the back in one day with a late model 42" Deere. One or the other, if the grass is growing, it is HOT! And I still only end up putting maybe 30-35 hours/year on the machine.

I'm boggled by how many people would do this with a push mower. Even an old used $400 rider is better than a brand new push mower. I live in a rural area where nobody has less than 1/2 acre, but lots between 1/2 and 1 acre. Never see a push mower around here except a few pros with the giant ones.

I have about a 1/2 acre of grass and I won't do more than the front or the back in one day with a late model 42" Deere. One or the other, if the grass is growing, it is HOT! And I still only end up putting maybe 30-35 hours/year on the machine.
It depends a lot on the lawn. Sometimes a walk behind mower is just faster, especially lawns with a bunch of trees and obstacles or landscaping. You would just be going around in circles with a regular lawn tractor.

half an acre is quite abit for a regular 21" mower.
I have better things to do than give my feet blisters for 2 hours every 5 days after working.

Toro Super Recycler with the Briggs motor. I have one from 2007 I rescued from the dump and it just needed a few parts and was back up and mowing again. I fixed it up in 2019 when I had surgery and couldn't work for 2 months. Gave me something to do for a few days. Anyways, there is a difference between the Recycler and the Super Recycler. The Super is much better and you won't have any problems with the drive. I have the original belt in mine. It also has grease fittings for the wheels and has a lightweight aluminum deck that will last as long as you. Briggs motor ensures you will have something simple, reliable and easy to get parts.

I bought a Honda Comerical mower in 2011 and it has been cutting our 17,000 sq ft lawn . In 2011 I bought a couple of forclosed homes and redid them, it took 4 months to do both of them , so the mower has had some use . My wife loves the mower and I haven't cut the houses laws since I bought the mower. :cool:

Back