lawnmower oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 2007 John Deere riding mower, I changed the factory fill approx 1 month ago. I don't know what the factory fill was, but in the 8 or so hours I ran it, it consumed zero oil.

I used GC Syntec 0w30 when I changed the oil. The B&S 19.5HP engine consumes around 3-4 oz of GC every 2 hours. Since I check the oil & top up before every mow, this is a non-issue for me, but worth pointing out.

I normally use nothing but straight SAE 30 in my Honda-powered Craftsman mower, but this year I used Napa-brand 10w-30 conventional, just because I have about 10 quarts of it hanging around that I need to use up. I've only used the mower twice so far, but it seems to be doing very well on the 10w-30. Haven't noticed any oil consumption.

Saturn Fan, we know Briggs' recommendations. However, they are a general recommendation but if you are pushing the engine ... and/or want the thing to last longer than several years, I'd suggest either very frequent changes or using something a little stouter than an XW-30 ... even a 'synthetic' XW-30 (whatever that means these days).

I use GC in my Honda Masters HR 215. I used M1 5w30 in the previous Honda and it went 20 years and still ran strong (trans blew away).

My neighbor buys B&S powered cheapies and runs them until they die. The other day I checked the oil in his mower and it had none in it!! Completely empty. He had just mowed the day before. I tried to drain the old oil, but none came out.

I filled it with GC and that engine acted like it was at a banquet!!

Briggs makes a very strong engine. Cheers.

SM oil still has adaquate anti wear additives, at least as far as auto engine use goes. They aren't the same ones that SL oil and the previous grade oil used.

SM rated PCMO has reduced antiwear additives to meet EPA emissions regulations concerning CAT protection on public road vehicles.

a small air cooled engine, especially those with no oil pump that rely only on splash lubrication need the extra protection of higher ZDDP levels to protect the crank and rod bearings, rings and camshaft/lifters/valve ends from excessive wear.
there is far less boundary layer oil pressure protection with no oil pump engines.

I am using Rotella T 10W30 in my 18 year old Honda mower. The manual calls for 10W40. Last year I tried some M1 0W40, but the mower felt sluggish with it.

In both my Honda Lawnmower and my Subaru powered pressure washer, I used what came with it for about an hour of run time and changed to Motorcraft 10-30 semi-synthetic. No complaints so far.

I use Supertech synthetic 10w30 in a Honda tractor, 2 craftsman push mowers, troybilt generator, and a troybilt power washer. No consumption issues. I do annual o/c's on em all

When I changed from the oil installed by the dealer to Mobil 1 10-30 EP my mower ran smoother and seemed to pick up a few rpms.

After several years of running many different synthetic 5W-30 oils in my riding mowers and having consumption issues in both (using 3-4oz during each mowing), two years ago I switched to Rotella 15W-40 and couldn't be more pleased.
No more consumption issues, I use maybe 8-10 oz's makeup oil between the two per mowing season. One is a 16hp B&S Vanguard the other is a 20hp Kawasaki liquid cooled.

Got a deal on some Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40 (TBN of 12) last year. Got 44 hours on my Scag Freedom Z with 26hp Briggs ELS. Changed to Mobil 1 at 25 hours. Oil level has remained just above the "Full" hole for the last 19 hours of run time.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
When I changed from the oil installed by the dealer to Mobil 1 10-30 EP my mower ran smoother and seemed to pick up a few rpms.
Was the motor broke in by then?

With a lower end lawn motor like I own I would use what ever oil is around for a fancy lawn mower I would use a HDEO ,For a riding mower I would use a HDEO syn type oil as those engines are under load and are expensive to replace.

In my Cub Cadet 1200 I'm going to use some Delvac 1330 (SF) mixed with Mobil 1 5W-30 as soon as I fix the clutch. Running the same in my Craftsman push mower. The Delvac was free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back