Lawnmower - No Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Bring it in to the car shop you work at and I'm sure one of the mechanics there can figure it out quickly.

Are you being serious?

Last week I worked on a similiar Tec. had no spark, changed out the magneto from my spare parts and it was sparking again. Make sure the plug wire /connector isn't damaged first.I would pull the flywheel and look further. There's also a leaf switch in there which is your kill switch, another possibility. If you decide to fix, get a good look at that flywheel key, if it is deformed in any way, replace it. With the safety brake applying on the inside of the flywheel, that key ultimately is the link to stop that blade abruptly and over time will deform without even hitting anything. Good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Bring it in to the car shop you work at and I'm sure one of the mechanics there can figure it out quickly.

Are you being serious?

Yes.

22" FWD? Sounds like an Eager 1. Tecumsehs I went through 2 of them in fast succession in the 80s. Not impressed with the drive set up , engines were nothing special. I solved the running trouble with the Tecumseh on my snow blower by replacing it with a Predator. To be fair, the engine was 40 yrs old. For 99$, I solved the hard starting and other troubles I had with the old engine. Way less than what a rebuild would have cost me. I would start with a used Toro SUPER Recycler. Tune that up, change the oil and air filter, sharpen the blade and mow, not tinker.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
22" FWD? Sounds like an Eager 1. Tecumsehs I went through 2 of them in fast succession in the 80s. Not impressed with the drive set up , engines were nothing special. I solved the running trouble with the Tecumseh on my snow blower by replacing it with a Predator. To be fair, the engine was 40 yrs old. For 99$, I solved the hard starting and other troubles I had with the old engine. Way less than what a rebuild would have cost me. I would start with a used Toro SUPER Recycler. Tune that up, change the oil and air filter, sharpen the blade and mow, not tinker.
laugh.gif

Yes, it's a Eager-1. I pulled the flywheel yesterday and the key is fine. Also checked the magnet clearance and it is perfect. So, I think my issue resides in the coil assembly. I have a new one coming tomorrow. Hopefully the new coil and new plug will fix the problem.

Update - the lawnmower is fixed. After installing a new coil assembly and setting the clearance to 0.007", I was able to confirm that I had spark.

Even though it was not related to the no-start condition, I went ahead and also installed a new carburetor since I suspect that the old one had issues. Also installed a new spark plug, new air filter and flushed the fuel tank.

Now the mower starts within 2 pulls and everyone is happy. Thanks guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wKYT2viWZM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back