Lawnmower fuel filter for old lawnmower engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am writing wondering if I should bother putting the fuel filter on my 1950s Clinton lawn mower engine which I am trying to restore there has been some Rust inside the gas tank and I noticed that there's a little mesh screen in the tank before where the whole starts it is a 2cycle engine and I mix the fuel and Oil 32 to 1 I was wondering because I'm finding rust particles very small in my carburetor Bowl whether it's coming from the gas tank as I've cleaned out the carb I was wondering whether a fuel filter would help and if so what type would I want and also I am worried whether or not it would actually fuel filter out the oil from the gas and also how many microns would I want so I get all the particles out and with the flow be hindered even though there's a mesh screen in the tank. Thank you for your time. I value everyone's knowledge and opinion. ☺

I wouldn'y worry about the microns, just stick a generic inline filter like Oldtom linked. I like the clear ones so you can visually inspect them.

A pal plays with other people's small engines. Installation of an in-line fuel filter is a given. He learned the hard way after removing and cleaning many a gas tank only to have crud magically appear shortly after reassembly.

Gas tank rust and crud is a pain. Wood bleach, (oxalic acid) is my go to for rust in metal tanks. A 24 hour soak, followed by a baking soda rinse to neutralize the acid usually gets the rust under control. An in line fuel filter is must.

Thanks everyone .I will definitely be using a fuel filter from here on in on all my Lawnmowers and snowblowers I restore.Thanks again 🤗

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back