Lawn Tractor vs Self Propelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

The Kawi has a cast iron sleeve, full pressure lube and a spin on oil filter. The Honda has an aluminium cylinder, splash lubrication, and no oil filter, or drain plug.

^ ^ ^
That would be a no-brainer decision right there.
wink.gif

JohnDeere-JX75.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

How's the parts availability for a Craftsman machine as it ages? A friend of mine was has one that's a couple years old that they are thinking of selling. If the price is right, I may just end up buying it instead.

Funny you should ask, I recently had to replace a spring that must have worn out & fell off, thus making my cutter non operative. We look in the manual (worst part of any piece of equipment from DVD player to Lawn mowers so imagine an 18 yrs old manual) & found the part number. Ordered it online: wala 1 week later it was in my hands.

This part for an 18 year tractor. Craftsman is definitely the jewel in the Sears family.

I found a used mid 1990's John Deere LX178 lawn tractor for about the same price as the Honda or JD self propelled machine cost new. The 178 has a 15 hp Kawi liquid cooled twin cylinder powering it. This one has a 38" deck, but since it doesn't have an hour meter, I am not sure how many hours are on it.

Anyone have any opinions on a this machine?

http://www.deere.com/en_US/homeowners/products_non_current/lx178.html?link=enav

I also found a 1989 Honda 1338 Lawn Tractor, which is cheaper than the JD rider and both the self-propelleds. It has a 13 hp liquid cooled engine and 38" cut. Seems to be in pretty good shape and fires up like new, while being unbelievably quiet. It is being sold by a dealer and has been fully serviced.

My only worry is finding parts when it does break. Any input appreciated.

What about the new 33" walk behind from Cub cadet?

Ive also been looking at small riders. Not impressed by the quality of the low end ones.

I dont see how a self propelled mower will be much faster than a push mower. Maybe if your grass is always super high the more powerful engine would help.
I have a lawn boy - 10550 , go as fast as it can go. Mowing abt 1/2acre it still takes a good while. Not to mention its heavier than your standard cheapo mower. So its not as easy to manuver as a push mower. This might be a problem if you have a lot of obstacles.

"I dont see how a self propelled mower will be much faster than a push mower."
I can, since I've been mowing 50 years!
Fatigue factor. Plus if you let your grass get too high, they get a lot harder to push.
A few years ago I was doing another lawn, besides my own, that had a fairly good slope. It was nice to have the mower help me up the hill instead of the other way around!

Some things to consider:

I had an older Honda riding mower (rear engine, not a tractor) and the motor was great. However the cut was sub-par, perhaps due the use of a large single blade.

If you end up with a walk behind/self-propelled mower, think about whether you'll be bagging much. If so, do yourself a favor and get a mower with a blade/brake so you don't have to pull start after each bag empty. If you're prone to back trouble the bending to remove/replace the bag then pulling the starter cord can really wear on you.

Currently I have a Craftsman 42-inch cut lawn tractor (with Kohler power) and Cub Cadet push mower (Kawasaki power). Both have been reliable, the engines have been great and the cut is fairly good. I had a Toro Recycler that was the best mulcher ever, but the motor wasn't so great (I must have got a lemon as a buddy had the same one and it never had trouble).

I bought that used John Deere LX178. The machine was in really good shape for it's age, and that Kawi V-twin is a beautiful little engine. Hopefully this will turn out to be a good machine. I figure it's probably better than a new low end machine.

Thanks for the advice.

Both the Honda and JD will be more expensive than a Toro. If you mulch, the JD will not mulch as well as either a Toro or Honda.

Honda's are more difficult to start because they are very efficient and run a bit lean, therefore they take more effort to start and are more "cold natured" than either the B&S or Kawi engines.

I have the same size lawn. Started with a walk-behind, got a rider for 18 years till' head gasket seep cooked a valve and now am full circle back to Toro SR w/OHV & oil filter on the side. Cannot beat this set-up for mulching and fertilizing cost goes down as well. You also get the benefit of a brisk walk, something all can use. After the rider gets to be several years old, you probably have to tinker with her to make her run right. If you don't do your own work, transporting the beast adds to your exaspiration. I gotta vote for the Toro SR-4 w/ OHV optional engine about $630 up here. For great info ;

http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/index.php?sid=8988ecda728cb3b2436c3bbac680cece

Regarding the honda 1338. Parts are higher. I bought the larger one of these used 10 years ago...the 4518 has a twin cyl. water cooled engine. 46 inch two blade cut. I love this mower...built like a tank. The honda oil filter costs me $10 bucks but I only have to change it once a year...well the manual says every other year....and I like to run 10w30 mobil 1 in it. Mine is a hydrostatic... i don't know if your 1338 is or not. I replaced the front tires this year...but got a knock off brand at the local tire place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back