Lawn spreader

Thanks everyone for the input. I picked up the Scott's with the edge guard. Here is a shot of it with my smaller Scott's unit with the stripped gear box. The new one throws granules way further which I like.

FF69D49D-7F43-4EF4-A780-7FA1B304F6AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good! My lawns are small enough that I just use handheld spreaders...the one at my primary residence is even battery powered. I thought that was a dumb idea but it was all my local Lowe's had when I needed a spreader. I think it's call a Wizz or somesuch. I learned a long time ago that a broadcast spreader is a lot more forgiving than a drop spreader. I really messed up my first lawn around 1990, trying to use a drop spreader. Stripes, dead spots, etc. It was not good. Now I just use a cheap 10-10-10 or 12-12-12 periodically on my fescue lawn in OH and spot spray weeds. Still trying to figure out the routine for the St Augustine grass in SW Florida...used a Scotts weed & feed the first time a couple of weeks ago, probably just use Milorganite to green it up later in the summer, when there are rules about fertilizing.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Thanks everyone for the input. I picked up the Scott's with the edge guard. Here is a shot of it with my smaller Scott's unit with the stripped gear box. The new one throws granules way further which I like.

You may want to check with Scotts on that gearbox. I have had several parts sent to me to repair my two spreaders free of charge and they were both several years old.. They may send you a replacement part free of charge.

Back