Lawn Mower - Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a John Deere lawn tractor with 22HP Briggs/ Stratton air cooled. Specs call for 10W30. However, I'm using M1 auto filter and M1 5W30 oil. Alot has been said about car and oil, but not enough about air cooled lawn mowers or motorcycle specific oils which I believe are a whole nother topic.
Again, motorcycle and small engine oils should be addressed more.

just venting...

Do a search; they are addressed plenty....
19.gif

I think the 5-30 is a decent choice, but a lot of the current 5-30's are energy conserving or resource conserving, and consequently have less ZDDP than one would want. So even though 10-30 is an obsolete weight, a 10-30 diesel oil might have more zddp to protect the relatively crude valvetrain on OPE.

The perfect solution (IMO) is to have a stash of mid 90's 5-30 oil, or to use 5-40 HDEO in the summertime.

Motorcycle oil is easy, Rotella 5-40 and call it a day.

Last edited:
I agree about the Rotella 5w40. Used it before and my scoot was happy.- Yamaha Roadstar. Currently using M1 15W50.. I'll switch over next change, been thinking bout that one.
I'm using M1 5W30 in my JD130 just because I use it in my 03 Cavalier, 6.5 hp B&S Toro mower & 3.5hp B&S edger. Want to just buy 1 oil and be done with it. I buy the 5qt jugs which is much more cost effective. I think Meijers has better prices now then Wally's. I did notice a diff in cold weather starting using 5w30 in the Toro -vs- st 30 wt., it actually starts when cold ! BTW, JD has a special B&S engine built for their tractors. A really sweet 22hp Vtwin engine; pressurized oil system. The M1 filter(13-15 pd valve) is twice the size of the JD, which I only bought because it was free with oil at Meijers sale.
If anyone thinks I screwed up with the M1 5w30 for the tractor, please lemme know. I did put a couple hours on it and all seems fine, runs smoother and I think the RPMS' are actually higher. lol
I'm hooked on M1 oil and Purolate Pure One filters. I believe their the best you can buy.

Originally Posted By: RonnieSez
Again, motorcycle and small engine oils should be addressed more.

just venting...

Maybe the forum here called called Lawn Mower and Small Engine, or the one called Motorcycles and Motorcycle Lubrication?

I have always run a diesel rated 30 weight in all my little motors. Usually Rotella or Pennzoil.

Little motors without a pressurized oiling system have a dipper which beats multi weight oils up pretty good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back