Lawn mower oil filters cut open ...

my girlfriends cub cadet LTX's Kohler OE CHINESE filter went to $15 so searching i finally found a replacement made in Vietnam at 1/2 price! i hate the price gouging going on EVERYWHERE, no cut open or similar but being changed after every mowing season in Pa with fresh quaker state 10-30 i am sure it will be OK!!

I'll post here as well . Looks very similar to the J.D. AM125424c . K&N provider for all of these oil filters ?

Yeah the power equipment filters are a huge price gouge. They sell the whole "buy OEM for your lawn mower, it's built for small engines" idea, which in reality you are paying for the name on the paint but not for better construction.

Some of them are decent, I believe the John Deere filters are pretty good from what I've seen (silicone ADBV, made by Champ), but they are also almost $20 in some places. A Fram Extra Guard or Super Tech filter is usually just as good if not better since some of the OEM filters don't have a silicone ADBV. I use a Fram Ultra or Tough Guard on my machines usually, but only because I leave the filters on for multiple seasons/OCIs.

It's rare that OEM filters are better than automotive, it is usually just different paint. The only one I can think of is the oil filter for my Kubota diesel tractor. The OEM filter can is significantly heavier and beefier than the Fram XG equivalent.

Most all lawn tractors and zero turn mowers can use an oversize Fram 3614. Cross to
your favorite brand if you wish. Briggs, Kohler and Kawasaki use Ford threads for their
filters. That opens a very wide alternative list of auto filters. Even $4 SuperTech filters will
work just fine.

My 2¢
Agree I use Motorcraft on my Deere LT150. I’ve considered the Walmart brand but always manage to find the Motorcraft for a comparable price.

Just my $0.02

Most all lawn tractors and zero turn mowers can use an oversize Fram 3614. Cross to
your favorite brand if you wish. Briggs, Kohler and Kawasaki use Ford threads for their
filters. That opens a very wide alternative list of auto filters. Even $4 SuperTech filters will
work just fine.

My 2¢

I wish my Cub could use one of those. However with the steering linkage, it limits what filter you can use. I finally found the Baldwin B7165 fits perfectly! They're around $7 on Rock Auto. You can buy two for the price of a Kohler filter that my mower normally takes...

VXqam0O.jpg

bwiASP6.jpg

I wish my Cub could use one of those. However with the steering linkage, it limits what filter you can use. I finally found the Baldwin B7165 fits perfectly! They're around $7 on Rock Auto. You can buy two for the price of a Kohler filter that my mower normally takes...

VXqam0O.jpg

bwiASP6.jpg
Synthetic racing motor oil in a lawn mower, you say?

D577E0EF-A0BB-447B-88EA-D111E7F8B8B6.gif

Back