Lateral arm question

Think I tracked down a wandering issue (in crosswinds) tonight: just a bit of play in a rear lateral arm on my '99 Camry. Jacked up and shake the wheel, and the joint can be felt to have play. Enough to click and I can feel it, but it's not more than a millimeter I'd say, just enough to be loose.

While watching a video on how to replace, I noticed that while tightening up the toe adjustment, the rod in the video did not seem to rotate very easily--new bushings and all. Makes me wonder: the fact that mine can rotate a bit by hand, does that indicate that bushings, even if I don't detect looseness, are still bad? Like, I can grab the rod and just twist it a bit, even though the "good" side does not have any play if I grab the tire and shake.

Would a Dorman part be ok here? Usually I think of Dorman as being junk, but it's not exactly a new car either. Price is comparable to Duralast, which is still not that great. I'm guessing both options are about the same?

I didn't jack mine up, but I went out and twisted them and they twist, so I guess mine are worn too. The front ones don't budge.

And incase you forgot what a crust free car looks like ;)

842E0A65-718B-4F99-920E-B27CE4B492E4.jpeg

I wouldn't be surprised if yours is worn, both cars are pretty old.

Putting together my parts list. Arms, struts, tires and an alignment. Timing belt isn't far off either. Fun!

Back