Last week I asked about the Wix 57055...Got one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I didn't think I'd be the first, but somehow got my hands on one of the new Wix 57055's (actually it's a Napa Gold-but it's the same thing) for the 2013+ Subaru Legacy/Outback 2.5 motors. The filter was released by Wix on 9/3/13, so I didn't expect to find one as quickly as I did.

Filter is made in Mexico. Standard Wix fair with threaded end bypass and silicone anti drainback valve. With the bypass filtering material is less than what others may be, but it is a bigger filter than previous filters for the old EJ 2.5.

It was a little late when I got home tonight, but I took a couple of quick snapshots. No I didn't cut it open. Finding one of these was akin to finding the holy grail, so I plan to put it to its intended use in a few days.

photobucket-74870-1379979790126_zps821ec44f.jpg

photobucket-7989-1379979766386_zps7a872092.jpg

photobucket-1963-1379979741672_zps0889bb3e.jpg

Last edited:
So.....what is so special about it? Or is it a completely new application for that filter?
I am curious about the white napa golds. My 7060's from a few years ago are black but my 7045s I got recently are white.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
So.....what is so special about it? Or is it a completely new application for that filter?

It's a brand new filter with only one application as far as I know. There haven't been many aftermarket choices for the new Subaru 2.5 FB motors (at least for the Legacy/Outback) I had a stash of the OEM black Tokyo-Roki filters, but mine are gone and they are next to impossible to find now. The aftermarket filters that fit didn't have Subaru's spec'd bypass pressure. I've been waiting patiently for a year for Wix or Purolator to get a proper filter to market.... just a little excited. It's my BITOG OCD kicking in again.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

Real high bypass valve setting for the Subaru engines.

NAPA Golds start out being painted white, and then when the sales demand gets high enough they become black. The counter guys told me this, but they didn't know the reasons behind not just painting them black from the get go.

Maybe they up the price when they switch to black to increase the profit on a high volume item.

All Wix used to be white years ago, and it seems on that side of things, the ones that get updated are for newer applications or ones that get a huge number of sales. The Wix for the G and even the F-150 are black; the latter probably has the most common filter spec on the planet and is about the cheapest Wix I can get at $4.99. The old Audi still used white Wix filters.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
Finding one of these was akin to finding the holy grail

FYI, RockAuto lists the Wix 57055. $4.14 each.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: sopususer
Finding one of these was akin to finding the holy grail

FYI, RockAuto lists the Wix 57055. $4.14 each.

Last fall when NAPA had the Gold filters on sale, I picked up 8 of them for around $3.65 each. I've got the first one on the Outback right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back