Last Minute Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well the head gasket in my brother's 96' Lexus is leaking and I'm elected to go up and bring him home from Montana. Any last minute ideas I need to do for the Camry or things to bring? Here's my list:

1700 miles on this OCI of Pennzoil Ultra and a Wix filter
Freshly changed power steering fluid with MaxLife ATF (what it calls for)
Recent drain and refill on tranny with MaxLife ATF about 4 times within last few months
Alignment 2 weeks ago
2 new tires and 2 decent tires, pressures good
Spare is full
All fluids are full
Bringing extra fluids
Have full tool set with wrenches and sockets, pliers and all kinds of stuff
Empty gallon gas can
Road side assistance thru insurance company if needed
Timing belt, water pump 9k ago
Newer radiator hoses
Bringing lots of water

Anybody got any ideas? I'm leaving in the morning (Sunday) and will try to drive straight up but if I get tired I'll stay somewhere. Thanks for your help guys, it'll be around 2,400 miles round trip.

Only thing I can think of is adequate fluid in the battery cells if you have that type of battery. Otherwise, enjoy the trip. Check the oil and coolant most mornings, glance at all four tires before you hit the road and enjoy!
Kevin

You'll be good to go in that car!
AZ to MT is a lot of lonely roads. I would bring items for you (human)...extra food, water, etc.
Be safe--

You put new tires on the front because you said it doesn't rain in your state. What if you get caught in heavy rain on the way there? And I don't think there is any way you can do 1200 miles in a straight shot.

I just did a 2000 mile overall road trip in a 98 Camry with the 5SFE. It turned over 100K miles on the way back, but the engine's got some heavy varnish from years of city driving before we got it. Still, it averaged just over 32 mpg for the trip.

Anyway, you sound very well-prepared. I'd watch the steering rack for leaks, solely because mine didn't like the Maxlife ATF - too thin. Granted, the old fluid was black and looked like it had some water contamination. I added a bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak, and that's solved the problem the last 4000 miles. Just keep an eye on the reservoir, and if it drops, refill with the Lucas.

My other recommendation is not to try for the whole 1200 miles in one shot. That's a long drive, especially by yourself. Splitting that into 2 days feels a lot safer. Stop every couple hours to walk around, have a snack, etc.

One last thought - this is the perfect time to run some Techron through the fuel system. If you don't have it, don't worry about it, but if you've got a bottle, dump it in at the first fill.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
You put new tires on the front because you said it doesn't rain in your state. What if you get caught in heavy rain on the way there? And I don't think there is any way you can do 1200 miles in a straight shot.

Rear tires have decent tread, not bald.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Flashlights and a good breaker bar for the lugnuts.

I have a 4-way tire iron, and thanks I forgot about a flashlight

On the way back it'll be 3 people and 2-70 pound dogs Lol. Camry's gonna be loaded down with tons of luggage and supplies that's for sure. Has all new struts and springs as well.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
What is going to happen to the Lexus?

Lexus is staying at family's house until he can gather funds and time to fly up and have his mechanic up there fix it, then drive it down.

It's a 96' ES300 so basically a rebadged version of your car. 170k

Really The Best Thing you Can bring along is a Good freind or family member to join you. Ofcourse that might not be a option.

I know of experience. Back in 2011 a volcano on Iceland send a ash cloud over Europe stopping most air traffic. Due to illness in the family I had to drive from Copenhagen to Lisbon to get my parents back. Luckily a freind took with me. and man am I glad he did. Meant we could change who drived and so on. It was in a 95 Nissan much worse prepared then your car.

Originally Posted By: shDK
Really The Best Thing you Can bring along is a Good freind or family member to join you. Ofcourse that might not be a option.

I know of experience. Back in 2011 a volcano on Iceland send a ash cloud over Europe stopping most air traffic. Due to illness in the family I had to drive from Copenhagen to Lisbon to get my parents back. Luckily a freind took with me. and man am I glad he did. Meant we could change who drived and so on. It was in a 95 Nissan much worse prepared then your car.

That sounds like a fun trip. I confess that I had to look on a map to see if you'd need to take a ferry. I must have been thinking of Sweden.

Ditch all that survival Rambo stuff. You will save on fuel and the car will be safer. This will be especially important on the return trip. Your car will be fine. You won't need any of it. Stay on the major highways and you will have everything you need.

I've driven across country a few times.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Originally Posted By: shDK

That sounds like a fun trip. I confess that I had to look on a map to see if you'd need to take a ferry. I must have been thinking of Sweden.

Denmark is attached just on top of Germany. you are however perfectly right regarding sweeden. Denmark and sweeden is divided by water. there is a bridge though. :)

Last edited:
You'll be fine Nick. I do like the idea of a traveling companion.
Don't pick up any hitch-hikers carrying bloody axes. Kira
ps I did so love the "Jet Ferry" between Copenhagen tand Malmo. It had hydrofoil hull sections which would deploy at speed.
A cloud of black smoke (Hmmm...?) and you'd be cruisin'. I suppose it's gone now.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
How many miles round trip? 2000 or so?

Probably about 2400-2500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back