Last Internal Combustion engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully long after I'm gone! I don't think I could ever fully embrace electric cars.

When battery fueled vehicles can be charged in less than 10 minutes maybe. Wouldn`t be able to drive a long trip with limited charging stations in the New England area.

Originally Posted by MrQuackers
In the year 2525
. LOL....I'm old enough to get it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by jongies3
Hopefully long after I'm gone! I don't think I could ever fully embrace electric cars.

Didn't some say that about switching incandescent to led light bulbs?!?

Better off to ask when the last internal combustion engine will be turned 'off' in America.
My bet is the year 3004A.D.
They're too [censored] handy for logging, marine use, general transport in sparsely populated areas, off-road.
3004A.D. even then, there will be iconoclasts who run them on the sly, like that RUSH song from decades ago.
more like 3888A.D.

People are always blaming the internal combustion engine for being dirty, when it's actually the fuel to blame. Look at how clean CNG engines burn; also look at alcohol burning Indianapolis race cars.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by MrQuackers
In the year 2525
. LOL....I'm old enough to get it.
wink.gif

Zeger and Evans. One hit wonder late 60s.

"3004A.D. even then, there will be iconoclasts who run them on the sly, like that RUSH song from decades ago."

Red Barchetta! Hadn't thought of that for decades.. They were way ahead of their time.

I say as soon as magnetic recharging in the roadway is in place on every major road in America or enough nuke plants to provide the necessary energy to power recharge at home stations. We will never see it.

I think CNG/natural gas will keep the ICE around for a LONG, LONG time.

Just drive around the area south of Fort Worth, and you'll count THOUSANDS of large industrial straight-6 engines humming away on natural gas 24/7/365

Originally Posted by Linctex
I think CNG/natural gas will keep the ICE around for a LONG, LONG time.

Just drive around the area south of Fort Worth, and you'll count THOUSANDS of large industrial straight-6 engines humming away on natural gas 24/7/365

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
When battery fueled vehicles can be charged in less than 10 minutes maybe. Wouldn`t be able to drive a long trip with limited charging stations in the New England area.

These two.

And the second is very hard to have without industrial infrastructure.

I anticipate we will get major penetration of hybrids, then it will become a battle of liquid versus gas fueled IC, and the two of those versus reformed natural gas to a fuel cell.

A fuel cell will have to be a hybrid, and it will be about as good as you can get.

It's not trivial to get 100kW of power in all sorts of places.

I remember when Time Magazine had a cover story on the supposed high-temperature superconductor revolution of the future. Their cover included some futuristic looking car that was electric powered. Now I'm not quite sure what advantage superconductors would have made.

Found the cover.

[Linked Image]

Couple of things...

Batteries aren't fuel any more than that big can in the back of your gasser is.
And 60KWh charge in 10 minutes is a 360KW charge rate, a couple of hundred times more than a power outlet, like getting 3-4 household daily usages into the battery in 10 minutes.

Which will never happen because the amount of power along with cooling required to manage the heat of moving that power is astronomical.

My two cents,

Induction charging is going to be standardized and the vast majority of parking spots will have them. Think grocery stores, office parking lots, Home Depot's, etc etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back