Larger filter for 3.0 Ford.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has a 1997 Ford Taurus with the 3.0 V6.

What would be a larger filter than stock?

I prefer a Motorcraft, AC Delco, or Puralator.

Originally Posted By: fins

When the 3.0 Ford Aerostars went from the 1A to the FL400 in about 1992, you could still use the 1A if you juggled the battery cable on the starter. Is this possible on this car?
Personally, I'd continue to use the Motorcraft FL400. Lots more media than some of your other 8A/1A sized filters.

Last edited:

My son has that engine in is 91 Ranger and he uses the M1 filter for it. 333,000 miles on a very tough engine.
M1 10-30.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
3.0 pushrod or 3.0 DOHC?

Oh, I didnt even think of that. I automatically thought, "Vulcan."
If its the DOHC its FL820S type. There is a bigger one, but I can't remember where I came across it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
3.0 pushrod or 3.0 DOHC?

Yeah, that one got me too - my '05 Freestyle took the FL820S, and the '08 Taurus X that replaced it takes the FL400S.
Both have V-6's.
Shoulda' seen me under there trying to get the 820 to fit on the '08...
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:
3.0 pushrod or 3.0 DOHC?

Yeah, that one got me too - my '05 Freestyle took the FL820S, and the '08 Taurus X that replaced it takes the FL400S.
Both have V-6's.
Shoulda' seen me under there trying to get the 820 to fit on the '08...
shocked2.gif

I also assumed that it was the FL400 because the 820 is fairly large, at least until it was recently downsized.

Its the 3.0 pushrod.......I haven't removed the old filter yet so I don't know what filter is on it now.

Thats funny...i use the same filter size on my 2002 Tacoma 3.4L. Its the same thread and gasket size just alittle bit longer.

Its the 3.0 pushrod.......I haven't removed the old filter yet so I don't know what filter is on it now.

Whatever you've got room for ..there's a filter to fill the space. My daughter's old 91 fit a ST8/FL1A/etc. YMMV depending on (iirc) exhaust/starter wiring ..etc.

I think you're going to have a problem clearing the starter solenoid with the FL-1A filter, in that model year.

The most it will cost him (or anyone) is $3 to find out. I'd really pay attention to the POS+ lead on the solenoid while banging it around up there in trying to fit it. It looked impossible on my daughter's 91 ..but sho'nuff ..it fit. What I couldn't get to fit was one of the many sandwich heat exchangers that I have sitting around.

The one on the right almost made it. I didn't want to use a tubing bender (the coils you put inside a piece of tubing to prevent kinking) on it to make it clear the exhaust up front.

f11de2892e9dd20bgx1.jpg

By geeaea at 2007-10-18

Its a pretty tight fit so I just went with the Motorcraft FL400.....I don't think the FL1A would have fit.

Hmm. I want one of those. Have no idea what I would put it on, but Ill find something.

The FL400 is a decent size filter. There are bigger engines with smaller filters.

Last edited by a moderator:
For its size the FL-400 is a great little filter. Kind of a smaller version of the famed FL-1A. Unless you're going to significantly plan on extending the OCI, and doing PCs to establish condemnation points, I'd just stick with the FL400 filter. Fits easily and the beta ratios are reasonable.

The FL1A is a great upgrade, when you can get it to fit ... but most of the time, the reason the FL400 is there is because an FL1A will not fit (at least without cursing).

In a similar situation, I often recommned Toyota owners "upgrade" from the little filter to the FL400; easy swap because it's longer, but not larger in diameter. Will fit nearly all the Toyota configurations, and provides better beta ratios. Check the 51348 Wix versus the 51516 Wix and you'll see what I mean. (note: not all Toy's take the 51348; this only applies to those that do).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back