sad times in the Super Tech filtration world.

Um, no actually. The center tube leads to the oil galleries which are full of oil from the heads, down to the Center tube and the hydrostatic pressure is keeping the center tube slightly pressured. The ADBV will keep the oil from reversing through the media and going back into the pan.
One can fill an oil filter up full, tilt their head back, and turn the filter over their face to "see" what happens if they think a center tube stays full. All the oil in the center tube comes out. Not some of it, all. On this engine, which I have changed oil filters many times on, I used to let it sit overnight and in the morning the filter comes off with no mess , center tube all drained out. Nowhere did I say here, but it was added by someone else on a mission, the whole filter drains out. If the filter was removed right away oil wold gush out and it would end up on the plastic under cover which I then had to go under and wipe. So I tried letting it sit and sure enough no more mess. I would say it takes about 2-4 hours at least for the oil to drain down through the bearings. Depends on the engine. Maybe some have a check valve and it never drains.

So the result is if a larger filter with a larger center tube is installed on this engine, every morning, and every day after work the engine oil has to fill that much more space before the oil gets to the bearings. So the correct sized 3614 filter is better. The Toyota filter is even better as it has a much narrower center tube than most filters.
On the other hand, if the oil filter is removed right away and the center tube oil gushes out, like a shop would do, then potentially the first start would be less "dry" if they refill and start pretty fast, because the oil hasn't yet drained out through the bearings.

Ok, this is engine specific. If your main bearings are lower than your filter position the oil will drain out. It the main bearings are higher than the filter position, it will not drain out. ( assuming it has an ADBV which would keep it from draining back into pan.) Also a schematic of your oiling system would be helpful.

Back