Larger 3/8” Drive Metric Sockets?

On motorcycles I use up to 32mm 3/8 drive sockets lots. Axle nuts, swingarm nuts, etc.

I’ve used all the sizes you listed in metric 3/8 I’ve used on all except 23. 20 is the rarest usually on swollen lug nuts or some aftermarket suspension components on my friends 86 Ford Bronco. 21 and 22 all the time I use them on Toyota stuff and I always grab 3/8 if I can but sometimes the 1/2 comes out. 23 is the diff plug size on my Mazda truck though I only have 1/2 drive 23mm sockets so 1/2 it is for those. And I’ve used 24mm on some oil filter housings and I have a special set of sockets that has like 24,27,29,32,33,35 etc in it in 3/8 for oil filters and also have regular 3/8 drive shallow and deep 24mm.

Only thing I have used over 19mm with a 3/8 is a sort of special shallow 24mm that I can get on the PVC valves on my VQ40's. Its a bit of a pain as its right against the firewall. Beyond that, anything that large usually needs more torque to remove. I could see them being helpful once you have something loose if space is really limited.

I have a low profile 27 mm I just happened to have used today to remove an oil filter cap on my Mini. It’s low profile for other uses like the tensioner for the timing that is right up against the firewall on the same car.

I have also used my 20mm socket on a VW New Beetle for the struts, as that’s the quirk with that car. That’s the only time I’ve needed the 20mm.

I’ve heard that 23mm are used on Toyotas, but I haven’t worked on any to know. 😎

These are all 3/8” drive too.

Dont own 20 or 23 in 3/8 and the 1/2 inch versions only regularly on swollen lug nuts. 24 quite often on cartridge oil filters. All 3 for fasteners where 3/8 fits better than 1/2. Couple that with I dont own an electric or air ratchet in 1/2 drive so its more convenient to run fasteners in tight places with 3/8

How often does anyone reach for their 20mm, 22mm, 23mm, & 24mm sockets? Please chime in on what you’ve used them on.

I use a shallow 24mm 3/8 drive socket to torque my Tacomas transmission fill plug and service the rear diff.

Otherwise at 17mm and above I’m usually reaching for a longer 1/2 ratchet or impact.

Anything above 19mm in 3/8 would be a one off purchase for me.

I’m a rank amateur, ymmv.

Sure. All are necessary to do control arm and ball joint work on my older Mercedes. Our odyssey takes a 22mm lug nut.

I have a Williams flank drive socket set that goes up to 24mm. I can’t remember what I used the 24mm for, but I remember being thankful I had it.

I use 21mm quite frequently in 3/8" drive on many things that require it, esp if reinstalling without power tools like where a cordless ratchet doesn't practically fit ‐- can use a shorter, lighter ratchet and run it down by hand more quickly. Then finagle in a flex head 1/2" or whatever and do final torque.

I use 22mm on a 3/8" impact set on low power for GMT800/900 wheel center caps..just go 'til it stalls with light trigger

I would not want to be without 21mm. And 24 is a great idea for plastic oil filter caps, although I often use a stubby 1/2" there

Oil Filter Housing caps or adapters.
PCV valves
Oil Pressure Sensors
Some Mazda driveline drain/fill plugs

I just used 7/8" in 3/8" drive on a harmonic balancer puller.

That said, 1/2" drive would have worked. I was using a cordless ratchet and don't personally have them in 1/2" drive.

Back