large steam boilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever heard of Superior boilers?,well at work we ordered three 800hp super seminols last year and was told a given deadline for delivery sometime ago,(many months),now after other delivery times that come and go ,we are still waiting,this givein brand is one of the best,has anyone else have had similar problems of delivery dates etc or any othor problems?,any info will be of interist,BL

sorry, I thought you were talking about LARGE steam boilers when I clicked the link.

Like 1 tonne per second steaming rate at 2600psi and 1000F.

They take three years plus for delivery.

Quote:

Good #@$%! that's huge.... I'd hate to be anywhere near a line from that thing when it lets go... high pressure steam is scary stuff, IMHO.

Yea that's what I thought too.

Back in the 70's I was giving a plumber friend a tour of the steam plant I worked in. He had experience with these little 50 - 300 HP firetube boilers that you find in hospitals and office buildings. During the tour I didn't realize that he didn't realize that all the flights of stairs and decks we had travelled were actually around one of the boilers. Until, he paused and pointed at all those "big boilers" that were all stacked up at each level. "Ah, Glen - those are the burners ". He didn't believe me at first. He was wondering why we were up 8 stories, with no end in sight of more flights of stairs, and why he still hadn't seen a boiler yet.

1 million lbs/hr is the largest unit I ever worked with. But 1 tonne per second ( 8 million lbs/hr) is LARGE. Obviously a generating station.

Phil

Quote:

sorry, I thought you were talking about LARGE steam boilers when I clicked the link.

They take three years plus for delivery.

I once saw the results of a small (four stories) steam boiler explosion when the operator failed to purge the firebox before lighting it off -- natural gas fired. It functioned as designed -- blew out the back of the boiler and the wall of the building. Filled the plant with steam though. That played havoc with the 12Kv and 7Kv electric power station that was on the second floor of the same building. The 30Mva (probably weigh about 60 tons US) transformers feeding the station were dancing from the through current when the switchgear arced in the steam. After it was all over the relay scheme was revised so the protective relays would operate more quickly. Those were the days when I was young and enjoyed the smoke and fire.

Oops, sorry, I meant over a thousand pounds per second. Two off at 500kg/sec, and two at 640.

Makes 625,000 and 930,000 shaft horsepower respectively.

I've seen one 1/2" transmitter line fail at 1000F and 2300psi. It was singularly scary, and to get within 10 yards was painful with muffs on. The guys who go in and work with live steam (leak sealing) are incredibly brave or stupid.

I've been responsible for pressure piping (2 foot mains) for a few years, and we take maintenance and inspection VERY seriously. Replaced some bifurcations a few years ago.

I still can't beleive that they are putting seam welded steam mains in new power stations these days. It's insane.

9ci, flame scanners failed at an old NSW station many years back, and they relit. Openings in the corners of the rear pass that a person could walk through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back