Large bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you use on large bolts? For example, the PVC valve on my Corolla looks needs a 19 mm socket. My father's Camry needs a 22 or 23 mm. I don't want to buy deep sockets just for these larger bolts. I know this is a silly question, but do people usually use an adjustable wrench for these bolts? Who makes a good quality adjustable wrench other than Snap-on? What features am I looking for?

Are there any new tools out there that's better than an adjustable wrench?

Last edited:
Depending on your torque needs, an adjustable Crescent wrench might do it for you. I usually manage to get by with one.

K

Shop around. If you intend on keeping the vehicles for awhile an inexpensive socket or wrench may be worth it. The headaches caused by not using the right tool can be painful.
I am an occasional mechanic and have yet to break a wrench and have only lost a no name ratchet that I have no idea where I got.

Cheap tools can last a very long time for an occasional user. Name brand tools can be passed down to children and grandchildren.
From my experience it is better to have the right tool for the job than to improvise in the Garage. It just makes life easier.

I'd want to use the right tool. Better to have torque on as many surfaces as possible to prevent damage. Rounded bolts arent fun...

I don't mean to be flip, but with Harbor Freight tools around, I would just purchase the socket set. The sizes that you are mentioning are by no means unusual. I hate the idea of trying to remove something that could be stuck and especially with an adjustable crescent wrench, which BTW is really not an appropriate under the hood tool imho. I would also point out that for home mechanics of all stripes, Craftsman tools from Sears have always been a reasonable, very high-quality choice.

If you can't get your hands or borrow a socket set for this purpose, I have to ask if you should really be working on a car.

In no way is this meant to be elitist. I spent many years working on cars without proper tools and consider my advice well earned.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I like Channellock adjustable open end wrenches.

A "Ford" wrench also works great but isn't "new" by a long time.

+1
AKA "Monkey Wrench", they were included in Model T tool kits.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Is there a lot of torque on a PCV valve?

That's what I was thinking. All the valves I've fooled with are just pushed into the crankcase with a hose attached or between two hoses and just pushed on the hoses.

I use a variety of stuff including a cheap, True Craft 10'' adjustable, my 16'' Channelocks, Vicegrips, a 24'' pipe wrench, a Ford adjustable wrench, a collection of other old wrenches, and even a few bits I have bought when nothing else would work. 19 mm is close enough that 3/4'' works fine. My 15/16'' stuff works real well with the 24 mm plugs on my truck.

100_2482.jpg

and thats the metric side of the drawer.

AutoZone.

Lifetime guarantee and not too expensive. The right sized tool is always cheaper than the "OEM Only" part you screw up trying to save a couple bucks.

BTW - don't waste your money on a 23mm tool. No fasteners use this size, but many US metric wrench suppliers seem to think they need to include a 23mm to have a full set.

I'm surprised you'd need a socket that big for a PCV valve. All PCV's I've replace were just slide off/on.

Edit: pulled up a pic on Rockauto. Guess so, never seen one that screws in like that. I'd get a set of deep-wells for cheap at Harbor Freight or Northern if you don't think you'll use them much.

Last edited:
getimage.php

This looks a little deep for the cheezy lug wrench already sitting in your trunk, but I bet that's a 19mm...

I'd get a cheezy set of impact sockets at big lots... yes they have them there. Very similar to HF if there aren't stores near you and you don't pay shipping.

19mm ring spanner ?

Picked up a set of ring/open enders at ADI once from 6mm to 24?mm in 1 mm increments for $15.

Grab a right sized socket, and some tube. Cut the socket transversely, and weld a bit of tube (or a big nut) to get the clearance that you need over the nipple.

It's not pretty, but for lowish torque apps, that are relatively rare, it does the trick.

Shannow, the guys here in North America don't know what a "ring spanner" is... call it a box end wrench.
55.gif

I worked with a tradesman from Newcastle, UK when I was at Chrysler... I still don't know what half the stuff he said meant.
21.gif

"Clarts in me Wellies" "Bubble and squeak" and lots more phrases .....

Papa Bear, two of the turbines that I look after are old Parsons (Newcastle) machines, so we get a heap of engineers across from time to time.

Was great one day being told about the "moonkie 'angerrs of 'aretleepoole" over lunch on the turbine floor.

edit : it's really on topic, as the turbine has studs 5-1/2" diameter, and 39" long holding it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back