laptop battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and good morning everyone. looking to a replacement laptop battery for my son's Dell laptop. hate to go OEM as they want $135 for a battery. has anybody found a good replacement for their dell that worked perfectly for them? if it was mine I would buy an aftermarket one and save a bunch of cash . after looking online there are so many out there that range from $35 all the way to $135. I know enough to check the specs and I just want to replace the 6 volt one he has now. can anybody suggest a place for a quality replacement ? thanks

be very careful with cheap, subpar quality Chinese cells. Li-ion batteries can and will burn quite easy if quality is poor (Cu current collector dissolution/plating, internal shorts, etc.).

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
be very careful with cheap, subpar quality Chinese cells. Li-ion batteries can and will burn quite easy if quality is poor (Cu current collector dissolution/plating, internal shorts, etc.).

I hear you on that issue. that is why I did not go to Ebay and buy the cheap ones they have there. lots of them are coming from China, so that threw me off right there. maybe I can find out who makes the batteries for Dell or is there wholesale place online to get one ? your thoughts are exactly why I have not bought a cheapie.

Look at BatteryMart.com. They sell lots of batteries. At least they are a company that will be around to stand behind their battery vs a seller on EBAY.

There are some places that will rebuild yours with new batteries.

I have bought two for Dells and two for Toshibas on line from different companies. No problems with any of them.

If you're decently handy with a solder iron your best bet is to buy a few new cells and rebuild the battery yourself with higher capacity cells. There's lot of info on this on the internet.

Another option is to find a place that will do it for you.

Originally Posted By: matrass
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I hear you on that issue. that is why I did not go to Ebay and buy the cheap ones they have there. lots of them are coming from China, so that threw me off right there. maybe I can find out who makes the batteries for Dell or is there wholesale place online to get one ? your thoughts are exactly why I have not bought a cheapie.

If you can get them, sony, sanyo, toshiba, panasonic or yuasa cells are what you want. I dont know that youll find Japan-made cells, but at least if they are really from the bigger mfrs, youll have low failure rates.

I take the engineering replacement number for my HP notebooks' batteries, search for them on eBay, then narrow down the results for "Genuine" or "OEM" (and "new", of course). Bought two recently, one from a US left coast supplier, one from China, at roughly 40% and 33% of the retail list price. They're identical to the originals, work great and arrived on the same day.

Your results may vary, but I'd be blown away if you can't find the equivalent Dell units this way.

Last edited:
thanks for the info so far everybody. have to take a look at the oem battery in the Dell after work today. maybe using the number on the battery will yield some info on who makes the battery for them. good to see others have bought online with descent results. did see a few oem dell batteries on Ebay and that could be my backup plan I suppose. I am very handy with a soldering iron but never messed around with battery cells.

thanks for the info so far everybody. have to take a look at the oem battery in the Dell after work today. maybe using the number on the battery will yield some info on who makes the battery for them. good to see others have bought online with descent results. did see a few oem dell batteries on Ebay and that could be my backup plan I suppose. I am very handy with a soldering iron but never messed around with battery cells.

I have never replaced the cells either. But one thing to know is you need to get the cells with the tabs already welded to them. Unless you have a welder. You should not try and solder on the tabs to the cells.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I have never replaced the cells either. But one thing to know is you need to get the cells with the tabs already welded to them. Unless you have a welder. You should not try and solder on the tabs to the cells.

That makes perfect sense. it is a cool idea but I would need to do it on an old laptop in case something went wrong. imagine not knowing what you are doing can lead to some serious stuff.

Well time to update my post here I guess. I ended up using the number on the battery and finding a place to purchase my battery. turns out they are over seas ( they did not disclose that on their website ) right after the transaction though Paypal ( I saw the name of person the money went to was not from the US ) I told them to cancel my order and refund my money. they told me to wait until the battery gets here and I can ship it to another customer in the US for them. once the battery got to the other customer they would send me my money, what a load of [censored]. I ended up filing a dispute with Paypal but the company had not responded at all. for the record I did try an order a battery from a US company first but it was out of stock. looks like this [censored] company has my money and I will not get it back. I hate dealing with companies outside of the US and Canada and would not have if I knew that they were located elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back