KYB or OEM Toyota shocks?

Car in question - 2009 Prius, 177K

I’m due for new shocks on this car. 13 years of urban driving and commuting took its toll on them. I have two choices - OEM Toyota which will be good for another 10+ years or KYB Excel-Gs. This car’s last destination is the junkyard but I also want to keep it safely running for the next 5 years while I take care of the finances and before a new car purchase. The car has stayed in the family since new.

I’ve heard the KYBs ride stiff and soften up/leak out. I’ve seen The Critic having to swap them out for warranty reasons despite lifetime warranty. A part of me wants to say f-it and throw on a set of Monroe OE Spectrums - what was the old Sensa-Tracs but the track record seems mixed on those. I’ll buy local if I want Monroe for warranty reasons.

should I do?

IMO, aftermarket shocks and struts from the brands we once held in high regard are no longer what they used to be.
If you want to do the job once, whether you or a shop will be doing the work then do it right and get the OE from Toyota.

KYBs on my 99 GS400. Rides smoothe & controlled. KYB makes Toyota/Lexus dampers although the dampening will be different between KYB branded shocks & Toyota branded as the T/L branded have specific/proprietary valving. A set of KYBs will last 5yrs, on my 2nd set on my car with the 1st set going 170k mi.

Recently on my Daughter's '07 Rav 4 V6, I had OEM rear shocks installed. (They were very well priced.) Had a difficult time deciding on the front struts. After much thought, I went w/ Gabriel Ultra Ready Mounts. I'm very pleased w/the way they ride and handle. Overall, the SUV is a total pleasure to drive especially w/the new General RT 43's H-rated tires which I had recently purchased from Sam's Club. (My most recent experience w/KYB was with their rear shocks which I thought made the ride too stiff on my our old '05 Focus. That was the reason w/my hesitance and not going w/this brand on the Rav 4.)

Recently swapped my rear set with OEM's, which are from KYB. I like the aggressive handling in factory form and decided to replicate that with the replacement(s).

I like KYB but TRW is only a few bucks more and should have a softer feel.

Part number for your prius is JGS9012S and it's available to order from autobarn.net. You click on "search for parts by vehicle" on the left hand side of the main page. There's also a coupon on the main page.

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 7.13.20 AM.jpg

I've had several sets of KYBs and Monroe SensaTracs. On my applications and mix of city/highway driving I found the KYBs lasted longer but were stiffer than Monroe. They were about the same price. I don't think the quality of Monroe is equal to KYB so I just put up with a bit harsher ride.

Car in question - 2009 Prius, 177K

I’m due for new shocks on this car. 13 years of urban driving and commuting took its toll on them. I have two choices - OEM Toyota which will be good for another 10+ years or KYB Excel-Gs. This car’s last destination is the junkyard but I also want to keep it safely running for the next 5 years while I take care of the finances and before a new car purchase. The car has stayed in the family since new.

I’ve heard the KYBs ride stiff and soften up/leak out. I’ve seen The Critic having to swap them out for warranty reasons despite lifetime warranty. A part of me wants to say f-it and throw on a set of Monroe OE Spectrums - what was the old Sensa-Tracs but the track record seems mixed on those. I’ll buy local if I want Monroe for warranty reasons.

should I do?
They are about 10% stiffer to compensate for suspension wear, according to their tech line. Made on same assembly line, too. Regarding Monroe, I've used them too and no problems, but they are softer than the Toyota OE. In my experience appear to rust quickly, if that is important to you.

I put KYB Excel-Gs on my 07 Prius and they're phenomenal. Feels better than when I bought it @ 30k miles (with 255k on the clock currently).

Our Outback got Monroe Quick struts, and to be honest, they're also perfectly fine.

KYB is who makes them for Toyota but they have a slight variation I believe. We put the Monroe Roadmatic on our Camry and so far so good. That was what my teacher recommended I go with so we did and they are going just fine. Sachs I’ve heard great things about too so those maybe worth looking at.

Back