KYB Gas-Adjust Shocks & Struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an add-on of sort to my Outer Tie Rod post.

Well, 1st I had to choose the Spicer "premium line" outer tie rods (greaseable). I was able to get Spicers at cash-wholesale and the MOOGs only at 100% retail cost
frown.gif

I also bought KYB High Pressure MonoTube Gas-Adjust Shocks and Struts all around and Spicer front and rear springs (box says built in US by Brake Parts Inc). The price for the tie rods, springs, shocks, struts came to 574$ cash wholesale ... with a buy 3 get one shock free promo.

I really want the Bilstein Shock/Strut/Spring kit but that was 674$. But I was cost limited. Koni would have been way over, unless I had a Supercar or Corvette or so I could not justify the purchase.

So what are people thoughts on KYB? Did I cheat myself? Or get a decent product considering costs? They are not installed, but I wanted to stay with a monotube design similar to my OEM French made DeCarbon Shocks/Struts. The KYB are marked made in Japan, so I assume decent to excellent quality standards?

I have been using Gas-A-Justs for years on large American vehicles and am very happy with them. You might find them slightly firm, but I don't find that objectionable. I did have one pair that eventually got softer than I liked, but that was after lots and lots of miles, and there was still the warranty.

KYB is a good company that will stand behind their products. From my friends' experiences, their quality control isn't as great as Bilstein, but the couple of defects they received were promptly replaced with new ones.

They weren't Gas-A-Just line, though. They were the cheaper GR-2 twin tube design. I'm not positive they were made in Japan.

Keep us updated on them after some miles!

I have used all three in different applications and for the money KYBs can not be beat . Konis were incredable. Bilsteins were like overpriced KYBs. I have used Konis on a 78 Ford Fiesta and an 87 Olds .The Konis turned both cars into slotcars most impressive though expensive.. The KYBs on a 88 Toyota Camry and a 79 Ford 2 wheel drive p/u And the Bilstein on a 2002 Ford Superduty p/u .one shock "Bilstein" leaked within a year and there was great service on the warranty return. I would not have second thoughts about KYBs .They are a bargain for what you get for the $$$ spent .

I put KYB gas struts with Moog variable rate springs on a 90 corolla. The thing rode like a sports car on rails.

Boy I miss that car!!!

It was a red 5 speed. Good memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back