Krytox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats anybody think, wildly expensive, supposed to last a LONG TIME. Been thinking of trying some for various applications. Anyone have as source for a better price?

mc-master carr has best price. can also find at gm, saab, volvo, dealers for weatherstripping conditioning.

Fabulous product. lasts a long time. chemically inert, resistant to uv etc. I use it on all rubber seals/weatherstripping

I'm looking for a Canadian source for Krytox, or an American source that will ship to Canada for a reasonable rate.

So far my only option is the local Chevy dealer with their ridiculous markup that I'm unwilling to pay.

Anyone have any leads for Canadians?

Krytox is good stuff. When I was building spaceflight stuff in a past life, Krytox 240AC was our grease of choice for ball and roller bearings. We also used it in some splines, mostly to protect against corrosion. As others have noted, it's chemically inert, it doesn't offgas, etc...

Interestingly, there may be better choices if you don't need the specific properties above. Krytox per its MSDS contains:

Name:pERFLUOROALKYLETHER
CAS:60164-51-4
Minumum % Wt:73.
Maxumum % Wt:82.

Ingred Name:pTFE
CAS:9002-84-0
Minumum % Wt:18.
Maxumum % Wt:27.

What I don't see above is any sort of EP additive and I don't know how good either compound above is under EP loading. Certainly, our ball and roller bearings didn't require a lot of EP additives.

Certainly, it's expensive. We were paying about $500 a pound for it from DuPont directly 10 years ago, which seemed high. I see online that a 2 oz tube is getting over $100 - wow...

What is the intended application?

later,
b

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
Krytox is good stuff...

Interestingly, there may be better choices if you don't need the specific properties above. Krytox per its MSDS contains:
b

I hear you. In the wrong application this might be the equivalent of wearing an armani leather jacket for protection while you stick weld an exhaust bracket onto your 1989 pontiac. Most of us don't have a need for near zero volatiles/combustible vapor.

Originally Posted By: mcboy
Anyone have as source for a better price?

You should see for substitutes for better price. Example, http://www.huskey.com/ProdInfo/PF Series Greases.pdf

They have better prices for PFPE greases than DuPont, Kluber, Molykote, Castrol Ind., etc.

Or check the For Sale area in the Forums here (yes, shameless plug
grin2.gif
)

I've read on the Mazda forum that it is a 'rattle & creaking' sound deadener.

Have been trying to hear some feedback on that applicability.

Last edited:
I purchased the vw 100ml spray can of krytox one time. It is sold as a sound deadener for internal rattles. It is a tiny bit of krytox in a lot of light carrier which evaporates quickly. It works well no doubt. But I found white lithium grase to be as effective but harder to clean up. If you can find it for a reasonable price it is worth it. You have to spray a lot of seams to actually kill the rattle so you end up using a lot of product, no matter what the product is. The vw spray can was $60 (ouch)

Originally Posted By: tmcafe

grin2.gif
)

Pls try to buy, сука блядская -:)

Originally Posted By: Konst
Originally Posted By: tmcafe

grin2.gif
)

Pls try to buy, сука блядская -:)
Not sure I understand, are you looking to buy? Anyway, here's the link: