KROIL For Cleaning Firearms?

Has anyone ever used KROIL to clean firearms?
I have a cousin that's a captain on the MS. River. The boats engineer (preventive maintenance) uses KROIL and leaves cans of it on my cousin's boat. He brought me a 10 oz. can yesterday and said I should try it on my firearms. He's the cousin that has an FFL and my son and I get our firearms through him.
I think I will try cleaning one of my Mosin Nagants barrels with it.
Opinions?

Attachments

• KROIL.jpg
    KROIL.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I've never tried it but have heard that it can be used with good results.

I gave my dad a can years ago and he tried it on a barrel he had recently cleaned and was surprised at the additional material that came out with the Kroil. Go ahead and try it.

One of the best barrel cleaning mixture is 75% shooter choice and 25% Kroil. Has worked
well for benchrest shooter for years.

It works well with other CLP's also. I've used it with BreakFree.

Kinda stinky. Not a great "lube". So no go for carry if any left on the gun.

That said, I have used a mix of Hoppe's and Kroil to clean for years. I think it works great. But just as a cleaner. Then I spray it all off, with another spray lube, wipe down. Then lubricate gun as required.

Yes it penetrates. I am using up the few cans I bought years ago. I tried the Gibbs oil Trav posted about a while ago and it works much better on guns that Kroil

Kroil works fantastic for its original purposes. Gun cleaning? Give it a try. I have had good results freeing up or quieting down tiny motor bearings that needed no further lubrication and worked great after a dose of Kroil. Had one tiny fan bearing that was making bad noise & thought it was done. Sprayed and let the little bearings soak over night. Started back up quiet and have not even have to lube it again in over ten years. Gun use? Not sure but...
For what they claim. Yes it works well. I would have no trouble trying it out on guns. The best stuff I have now is (first time) a can of gun cleaner lube sold by Amsoil.

Will Kroil penetrants damage the bluing on a hand gun or long gun?​

If there is already current damage to the blued finish, Kroil penetrants can possibly creep under and lift the finish from the gun/rifle. In the event of overspray, simply wipe excess Kroil off the affected area(s) with a clean dry cloth.

Kroil might not be the first thing I would use. For years I have used plain WD40 (removes moisture) and then spray / wipe down with 3-In-1 Oil.
Recently bought this when I made an Amsoil purchase. It is some good stuff. But, the WD40 / 3-In-1 Oil combo never failed me.
amsoilguncleaner.jpg

My Kroil is too valuable to use on guns - I need it for rusty/stuck fasteners. Lots of good gun solvents out there, including AMSOIL Gun Cleaner, a nice all in one. HPL Gun cleaner, another all in one. Butch’s Bore Shine is a good solvent for deep cleaning. And, of course, Hoppe’s no. 9, which smells like my childhood, when my uncle and cousins would clean their deer rifles.

sorry, a bit off-topic, but this statement seems off. our strategic missile silos are in conus and no usaf security forces are issued 44mag firearms, as far as i’ve ever known.
This was when East and West Germany were apart. Was Army and he went to AAFES/PX and was allowed to use 44MAG by his command.
Now runs a Class 3 FFL and teaches police officers how to shoot.

My Kroil is too valuable to use on guns - I need it for rusty/stuck fasteners. Lots of good gun solvents out there, including AMSOIL Gun Cleaner, a nice all in one. HPL Gun cleaner, another all in one. Butch’s Bore Shine is a good solvent for deep cleaning. And, of course, Hoppe’s no. 9, which smells like my childhood, when my uncle and cousins would clean their deer rifles.
Hoppes 9 should be a cologne

Kroil's penetrating properties make it work well to lift stubborn old fouling from bores. I have used it to clean old milsurp rifle barrels that looked horrible. Soaking with Kroil for a couple of days, a good brushing with a new bronze bore brush and then repeating a few times worked wonders.

But for every day gun cleaning there are other products that work just fine.

Back