Krogers gas..do all three grades have 10% ethanol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Day Everyone. I've been putting Mid-grade gas in my 12' Golf 2.5L n/a engine. I've read mid-grade is pulled from the regular (87 oct) gas tank at a ration of 2/3 and the premium tank @ 1/3 ration. Now assumming premium has no ethanol additive added, that gives an 6.7% ethanol added percentage. If ethanol is not so good then I would think using mid-grade is a good choice assuming the gas station's premium tank has no ethanol? I wonder what percentage of ethanol is added to premium gas at various gas station station brands? I normally tank up @ a Kroger's gas station. Anyone know...Just curious. Thanks.

Last edited:
Why would you assume premium has no ethanol? I assume it has 10%.

Some states mandate a sticker showing ethanol % (NY does) and some do not.

I also believe the 10% ethanol means up to 10%, but maybe less.

You can measure the ethanol % by measuring accurately 1 cup of gas into a clear glass jar and then pour in tablespoon by tablespoon of water to see when phase separation occurs. You might need to wait say 15 seconds between adding water. tablespoons.

Thanks. Up to 10%. I sometimes get in trouble when I "assume." Lesson learned long time ago. I wonder if say Shell/Kroger/Sam's Club use the same percentage of ethanol in their premium. It's moot as I don't often get gas @ Shell b/c their gas is 25-30cents higher than Groger/Sam's club gas.

Car fuel systems and engines have been designed now for years to burn fuel with 10% Ethanol with no problems. So many factors come into play regarding gas mileage and I see no discernible difference in mileage between 100% gasoline and gasoline containing 10% Ethanol.

When buying fuel my wife and I buy it where we find the lowest price. Those stations turn over a lot of fuel so it is fresh.

If your vehicle calls for 87 octane and engine was designed and engineered for 87 octane that is what I would burn and not worry about it at all.

Big difference in mpg and power when going from ethanol to non-ethenol. Not a new subject and is very well documented.

All cars in my sig have spent a lot of time on rolling roads, and my buddy whose shop it is can always immediately tell if the car is running on pure gas or is tainted w government subsidies...

Around the "metroplex" pretty much no station sells ethanol-free gas. Kroger happens to have the only stations at which I have seen E85. So, quite the opposite of ethanol-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back