Kreen uses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upon suggestion from a previous thread, I think I am going to try running some Kreen through my wife's Jeep since I don't really know the history of it, bought it at 142K now have 156K. I just think a good thorough cleaning is the way to go so I know what I have so to speak. I know there is sort of a love-hate thing about products like this, and I'm kind of in the middle. I agree/believe that if you properly maintain your engine, there is no need for this type of product and that a regular fuel system cleaner is all that is really needed. However, I also agree/believe that when you buy a used vehicle, you have NO idea how it was maintained prior to your ownership and that without tearing it apart and seeing for yourself, you have no idea if there are clogged oil gallies or large carbon deposits, etc. So with the Jeep, I just want to do what I can to make sure it is running to the best of it's ability.

I've done a bit of reading about the stuff here and other places found via google search and have found many people put it in the crankcase for anywhere from a couple hundred to 1000 miles, even read some say OCI. I seem to recall (maybe improperly) an old school method of draining oil completely, refilling with fuel oil and letting engine idle in the driveway for an hour to do the cleanse then drain and put new oil in. I assume this Kreen treatment does similar, I am unsure of running for an entire OCI, don't think I'd want those loosened particles flowing through the engine that long, but I could see maybe like 500 miles before an oil change.

I also found people saying to put it in the fuel tank to run through the fuel injectors and help dissolve carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. I've always seen this as a maintenance usage with other products more so than an actual cleanse.

What I haven't found was the classic Seafoam style usage for this Kreen stuff, where you pour it into a vacuum line (usually unhook from brake booster) so it is less diluted with fuel to soak into the buildup and break it loose. I was just wondering if this is less than stellar idea because of it potency over seafoam. I have found people knocking the idea of a full piston soak by pouring into spark plug hole due to risk of hydro-lock, which I would agree with as well, any performance you are trying to maximize by cleaning could be shot right down to zero performance in a hurry.

So, my questions in summary are:
1. Thoughts on length of time in crankcase?
2. Thoughts on pouring it in vacuum lines to coat the combustion chamber?
3. Thoughts on effectiveness of adding to fuel vs the vacuum lines?

Thank You in Advance,

Eric

I used it in a saturn. I used a 10w 40 and added the kreen to it , as it is low viscosity. The saturns engine was very clean on teardown. I ran it about 2000 miles, i did top off as it is volatile and evaps off.

Never used it in fuel. Used berry b-12 for that. Never understood the vacuum line treatment, maybe thats good for a DI engine otherwise i don't see the advantage.

Last edited:
So have you looked inside the engine, "so you know what you currently have"?
Do you know for sure that the previous owner didn't do a Kreen or a Seafoam treatment right before you purchased it?

Eric,

How well does the Jeep run? Did you remove the valve covers to see the condition of the top of the motor?

Have you cleaned the throttle body and Idle Air control valve (if applicable)?

I've never used Kreen, but I've used Auto-Rx and MMO trying to clean bits of sludge out of my 98 Sienna. It never really made huge difference visually.

I think using a good oil and filter, you'll keep the motor clean. Some people are using Rotella for that purpose.

As for the fuel system, try some Berryman's B12, or Techron.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
So have you looked inside the engine, "so you know what you currently have"?
Do you know for sure that the previous owner didn't do a Kreen or a Seafoam treatment right before you purchased it?

I haven't. The idea of this was in lieu of tearing the motor down and cleaning it myself. I know a chemical treatment won't have the same effects, but it also won't have the same labor effects, financial effects, and the inconvenience of having a vehicle down effects. As stated, I am on the fence of chemical treatments, hence the "so to speak" after the "so I know what I currently have" I'm open to any ideas that will somewhat ensure me that I have a decently clean motor, that doesn't require taking it apart, even somewhat, that requires the cost of replacing gaskets, just to take a look. By opening it up you are risking foreign objects getting inside as well. I guess I am looking to the equivalent of checking my pulse to see if I am still alive vs cutting my chest open and wrapping my hands directly around the heart to make sure it is still pumping.

No, I don't know whether or not the previous owner ran a treatment right before I bought it, or ever, but I also don't know if he used motor oil or just squirted KY jelly into the oil filler neck.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Eric,

How well does the Jeep run? Did you remove the valve covers to see the condition of the top of the motor?

Have you cleaned the throttle body and Idle Air control valve (if applicable)?

I've never used Kreen, but I've used Auto-Rx and MMO trying to clean bits of sludge out of my 98 Sienna. It never really made huge difference visually.

I think using a good oil and filter, you'll keep the motor clean. Some people are using Rotella for that purpose.

As for the fuel system, try some Berryman's B12, or Techron.

It runs ok. But it doesn't run nearly as good as my truck, and only has 10K more miles. So I think there is room for improvement. I plan to do all of the tuneup tasks, but I wanted to use this stuff first if I decide for sure to go for it, so I don't get that junk in the new plugs. It does seem to be using more oil than I care for as well, and this was suggested in a recent thread about my Jeep.

The cleaning with good sense is made with reasonable products and will take more time, as occurs when the dirting. So, there's no such thing as quick effective cleaning. Unless you use some hard measure like put acid, but then you'll ruin the engine seals and all ... Do several approaches, for several ocis. That's why you really need to search to know if the engine actually has dirt in it. But if you're unconfortable, start with half quart of MMO in sump and 4 oz in tank, then go on, to harder treatments if needed. Do a tuneup also, since it also helps to run better.

Last edited:
From my own experience, I think Kreen is a great product. It is very potent stuff to be handled with great care. I would NOT use it in a vacuum line method.

Bottom line, if YOU want to use it, go ahead. I would add it to oil and fuel. If i remember correctly, the fuel use is diluted into a small number of gallons right before you are ready to fill up with gas so as to get its full potency.

As for the addition to oil, I'd run it for a 3K OCI with maybe a slightly heavier oil than is specified. I do not think that there is any concern about running it for 3K. In my opinion, the "chunks floating around" thing is a myth. I was told by Kano Labs that it has the power to dissolve these "chunks" When I called Kano labs, I spoke to a very nice chap who was very humble about the product. He was not at all trying to sell me anything...very matter of fact. Told me many stories about what the product has done for carious vehicles and did not appear to care if I agreed or not. It was rather a refreshing phone call. O would recommend that you call them and get your questions answered.

I'd say that Kreen is an excellent maintenance product, it worked WONDERS in an old Astro van (1989 V6 with I think close to 300K on it) the engine ran so much smoother and the MPG's went up, oil consumption was slowed.

I have used Kreen on my E300 w/300 gave it my nephew and he is still driving it and now has 325k mi!es. No oil or transmission leak.
I must say it is amazing stuff. I put a quart drove 500 miles (added in fuel tank too)I It cleaned out the sump blowby gone, injector knocks gone. I am Sol on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back