Kreen Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
As i posted previously i am trying this product in 2 older inexpensive vehicles before attacking the Infiniti and Honda with this product.

The 5.4 was seemingly spotless from what i could see down the oil fill hole, the oil at 1k was still light amber.
It does have a slight lash adjuster tick and cam chain rattle at cold start for a few min. No oil usage between OCI.

The Toyota Tercel 1.5 was varnished with some black residue on the inside of the head. There were no visible marking on the cam holders as they were dark brown, again looking down the oil fill. Oil usage was a quart between short OCI.

After 250 mi on the 5.4 the oil is dark and the engine noises are changing, the engine sometimes runs slightly rough and get louder from the top end. Nothing spectacular to report.

The Toyota is another story, The result after only 150 mi (short trips over the last week) are nothing short of amazing.
The whole area around the cam is silver metal, no brown varnish is visible I can even see markings on the cam holders. Even the black residue is showing shiny patches through it.
The transmission no longer downshifts on one particular grade at 35 MPH which it always did, now even at 30 MPH it holds the gear. The engine is definitely quieter and smoother. The minor vibration at the steering wheel is gone.

I have used this engine as a test mule for ARX (2X following the directions right down to using the supertech dino) and MMO and never saw results like this.
This is NOT an anti ARX or MMO bash just an honest observation.

I will continue for another 1k before trying it on the other cars. I will try to get some pics from the oil fill hole as removing the covers on all these vehicles for before and after pics isn’t practical (time and cost wise, I have to work on cars for a living)
I used 16oz in the 5.4 and 8oz in the 1.5 along with the same amount in the fuel.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I have used this engine as a test mule for ARX (2X following the directions right down to using the supertech dino) and MMO and never saw results like this.
This is NOT an anti ARX or MMO bash just an honest observation.

I am sure Mystic will agree with me, we need to see honest observations on different oil additives, I do not see this as an anti arx or MMO bash, you found a product that works for you and that is all that matters.

How much does this Kreen cost and how many ounces are in the bottle.

Good Luck with Kreen, and please keep us posted about your results with the product.

I paid $67.00 for a gallon including hazardous shipping.It came in 4 single quart cans.
I see on their website there is no hazardous shipping on single quarts.

1 quart will do a 5-6 qt engine treating both oil and fuel.
They say add another 16oz every 1k but personally i think once its clean then just regular OC with a quality oil is all that's really needed.

It really made me step back when i looked down the fill hole of that Toyota though after such a short time.So far this is the only thing i have used that had that kind of "WOW" factor.
I paid a lot but feel i got a lot of result for my money.

Considering how long it can take some products to clean an engine, the cost and the process, I don't think you overpaid at all. The Kroil company makes some good products, and they've stood the test of time. I think Kreen is a more agressive cleaner than MMO and some of the others, but from your comments it seems like it delivered as promised. JMO

I'd love to see a UOA, and if it cuts down on the TBN number.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I don't think you overpaid at all.

$64.00 for a gallon, which is 128 ounces of product

In order to get close to 128 ounces of auto-rx, you would need to but 10 bottles of the stuff since arx comes in a 12 ounce bottle, so 10 bottles of auto-rx would be about $197.00

So, seeing that in this case, auto-rx is 3 times more expensive, I think you got a good deal on the Kreen.

As I said...good stuff. Just be careful, its a strong solvent.

Still, there is not a solvent product on the market I would trust more. These guys are good...really good. Regardless of their 60's literature.

I would say to watch everything REALLY closely. Oil levels, temps, pressure, color...all of it. If it seems to get a bit different, change your oil AND filter. Toyotas are known sluggers so, especially for a 4 cyl, it should happen fast. A V8...not so fast. Bigger oil pathways, more area, more 'places to hide".

Just my thoughts. Great company...Kano!

Make sure you get your free spray can of Kroil, you'll LOVE it. Man, I was so sick of stuff that didn't work.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Tharder
Still, there is not a solvent product on the market I would trust more.

Maybe this Kreen could just possibly be the best oil additive at cleaning up a very dirty engine.

Absolutely with stuff like this it would be foolish to put it in and forget about it.Seeing as suggest using 16 oz every 1k it seems they are comfortable using it on a steady diet.

A UOA may be beneficial and i just may do one on my Infiniti when i do this one.

I use Kroil and am well satisfied,i got the 2 for 12 with free shipping deal.

It just may well be.Still a little early for me to make that call but it sure impressed the heck out of me in such a short time.
So little about it is discussed anywhere on the net,it could be the availability,price or whatever but has done what others claim to do in very short order.

My issue in the Toyota was varnish and while many claim it is just cosmetic staining i somewhat disagree.Hydraulic lash/lifters and other hydraulically actuated parts can stick from the stuff.
In fairness to ARX they do say it can can take that product a long time to clear it up.I would like to see how this product does on actual sludge.

I do agree. People who discover new additives should be encouraged and not discouraged from posting. I have heard of the company that makes this product, although until now I don't think I have heard of this particular product.

For a while here it seemed like only discussions about certain additives was allowed or at least encouraged. I was an Auto-RX supporter but even I tried to bring up discussion about other products. Who knows-somebody may stumble across some little known product that is really great.

Now, I would not try Kreen until I have heard some more about it. But this website needs discussion about new and different products. The same old stuff gets boring.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It just may well be.Still a little early for me to make that call but it sure impressed the heck out of me in such a short time.
So little about it is discussed anywhere on the net,it could be the availability,price or whatever but has done what others claim to do in very short order.

My issue in the Toyota was varnish and while many claim it is just cosmetic staining i somewhat disagree.Hydraulic lash/lifters and other hydraulically actuated parts can stick from the stuff.
In fairness to ARX they do say it can can take that product a long time to clear it up.I would like to see how this product does on actual sludge.

Sludge removal should be easy for a product that can remove varnish. Varnish is the harder of the two to remove. If Kreen is eating up varnish quickly sludge will be an easy task for it. It was only until I joined Bitog that I heard the term "varnish is cosmetic". Keep us up to date with your progress!

Very interesting Trav. Thanks for this update.

Please keep us updated in the future with regards to the Infiniti and Honda, especially the Honda. I've owned quite a few Hondas in the past, still own two at the moment, and know their motors are notorious for building up a nice varnish. Eager to hear how the Kreen does. What model Honda will you be using it on?

A 2005 Honda Odyssey 3.5.My sister in laws car with circa 90+k on the clock and plenty of varnish.

A little history on this car.
Bought new and ran dino in the first couple of years then switched to Amsoil 0w-30/SSO in the hopes of keeping the varnish and deposits down.
This is a soccer mom lots of short trips.
My brother changed the amsoil at approx 15k OCI but the deposits remained although i don't believe they worsened. .

At approx 60k we did ARX X2 treatments using 2 bottles each time using dino,seemingly totally ineffective.
Next OC we put a bottle of MMO in it and still nasty looking,the stuff doesn't seem to want to budge.

Next OCI coming up soon.I want to finish the 1k in the 5.4 and Toyota before performing this just to make sure there is no apparent bad side effects.

Trav, my results with arx were the same as yours, while my results with MMO were a little bit different.

Arx did absolutely nothing in my valvetrain during the 24,000 miles I used it, I did 3 Clean and Rinses followed by a few Maintenance Doses with the arx.

MMO did not clear up the little bit of crud and varnish that I had in there right away, it took about 7000 miles with MMO in the oil to clear up the small amount of crud in the valvetrain.

As far as the Varnish in the Valvetrain, that was cleared up in about 10,000 miles of using MMO in the oil.

In your case, I believe that 15K OCI is not a good idea for a vehicle that is used for short trips.

Every oil additive does have its limitations, even MMO can take a few OCI's to clean things out, but in your case I think the Kreen is the answer for this car, the only other answer would be to take off the heads and have them cleaned.

Yes you are 100% correct 15k on this car is way to long between OCI.But you know how it is with family,you remind them and remind them then after 3 or 4 months you just go do it yourself.

My wife's Infiniti came from my brother its an 06 M35 same deal,
not quite as bad only this one has 50k on the clock.
On this car i have been doing short OCI with 16oz of MMO and it does seem to be getting better but i will run the kreen on this one also.

Trav, maybe we can say that an engine that is not that dirty will get a SLOW clean with MMO.

Now, if we have a really dirty engine, there is a chance that MMO will take much longer to clean up.

No disrespect or flaming, but you seem like the type of person that wants to get there engine clean as fast as possible, and in your case it seems like Kreen is the perfect product for your engine.

I tried ARX for over a year.I could probably have given MMO more time and got better results as it was doing something,but after learning about this stuff i decided to go ahead.

Most importantly if this product gives outstanding results quickly and i don't loose an engine,end up with a knock or some other disaster in these two old vehicles i think its a winning situation.After all the point to this whole exercise is to get the engine clean then keep it that way.If i can do it properly,completely and safely within one OCI then i'm all for it.

I feel confident the MMO will clean an engine pretty well given time.At this point i am just trying an alternative that so far looks promising.

I like the way you're thinking Trav, and putting your money where your mouth is. It is quite clear you are not pushing product, and if the Kreen works the way you want it to you're a winner. Others in a similar situation might benefit from your findings. If Kreen is anything like Kroil and some of the other products made by Kano you're in good hands!

Trav, we all want an oil additive that will clean any junk that is in our engines, you have clearly stated that on one of your cars that you saw results in the valvetrain, this is important since most valvetrains are splash fed.

I am also sure you want to get your engine clean as soon as possible, it looks like this Kreen is working for you and you are getting fast results, you should not have to settle for an overpriced oil additive that might take a long time to work and it seems the other oil additives you used worked either to slow or did not clean up your valvetrain. If your valvetrain was not getting clean then this could mean the rest of your engine was not getting clean.

I applaud you on trying another oil additive instead of following the herd mentality here on BITOG, we have seen quite a few oil additives that did not live up to our expectations, and when somebody has said a particular oil additive did not work, the usual response is that the person using that oil additive did something wrong, and that is not right.

Please keep us updated on your results with Kreen, this may just turn out to be a great oil additive for really dirty and neglected engines that did not see the proper OCI's.

Any updates? I am thinking about running this or auto RX through my Civic to clean it out some more, seafoam cleaned it out some, but this thing needs a good cleaning.. how often should I change the filter on it while im running it on a 200k Honda with out knowing its history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back