Kombucha - fermented sweet tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to make kombucha about ten years ago and really liked it. I moved and didn't have time to keep the cultures fresh so it fell by the wayside. Homebrewing I did keep up with because good beer is a very strong motivating factor.

Might be time to get back into kombucha.

Nasty? No worse than other foods....ever hunt?, clean fish?, some very tasty cheeses use an exotic mix of bacteria and fungi, then there is lambic ale.

Ziplock freezer bag should do it.

When I obtained a starter culture ten years ago, it was sent from California to Missouri wrapped in plastic in an envelope. The package was damaged in transit and the post office tapped it back up so I recieved this vinagar smelling, leaky package in the mail..... In this day and age it would have been quarantined I imagine.

The culture recovered and performed quite well despite the damage in shipping.

Quote:

Maybe the kombucha escaped and is now feasting on CivicFan's flesh...

laugh.gif

Kombuchas only fear crucifixes, garlic, and Group V base oils. I'm sure he's fine.

I finally have an answer to the lyrics of a song called "Sugar" by System Of A Down. Well, sort of.

To those not into alternative/metal, you'll probably hate it. It's hard to understand for most people, but oddly enough, going to lots of auctions has helped me to decipher unintelligible song lyrics.

Not one of my all-time favorite songs, but it was, um, intriguing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vBGOrI6yBk

Originally Posted By: GT Mike
I finally have an answer to the lyrics of a song called "Sugar" by System Of A Down. Well, sort of.

To those not into alternative/metal, you'll probably hate it. It's hard to understand for most people, but oddly enough, going to lots of auctions has helped me to decipher unintelligible song lyrics.

Not one of my all-time favorite songs, but it was, um, intriguing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vBGOrI6yBk

Are you tripping?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I harvested the first batch yesterday. It was 5 half liter bottles kombucha mixed with mango puree. I drank one of them today, the rest are building up carbonation in the fridge.

NICE!

Sounds a lot more affordable than buying the commercial stuff. (GT's Kombucha for example)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back