Kohler oil filter cross reference

Hi all I have a JD LT150 mower with a Kohler 15HP engine. It takes the Kohler 1205001 oil filter. I changed the oil when I bought this mower in the spring and what a mess! The filter sits upside down and the OEM Kohler does not have an ADV so oil runs everywhere. I'd like to move to a filter that has an ADV. A longer filter is also not going to hurt. Can anyone share a filter with me that has an ADV? I was trying to cross reference it over to a Mobil 1 filter or something readily available at a place Walmart but I am struggling. The number I get is an L10101, but Mobil has a different numbering strategy now,

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Todd

If it is the same as my 1993 JD STX38 with the Kohler 12.5 Command engine, M1-102 I believe. Also there should be a drain to let oil drain from filter side before removing the filter.
Also Fram XG3614 is a good choice.
Same filter that lots of spin on's that Toyota's uses and also the 1988 Dodge Shadow with the 2.2 or 2.5 engine.

if you take out the sump drain and the oil is hot, it will drain back thru the oil pump in about 30 minutes or less.

Rod

If there was room, a Wix 51516.
Nearly five inches long, verses three and a half for the 51348...

Putting that part Number into the Wix lookup, the Direct Cross is a Wix 5106

that being said, it's a 3/4-16 thread, and we Use Fram 3416 "equivalents" on both my Dad, and Brother's Kohler powered Cub Riders.
Dad's has Usually been a Motorcraft FL910s...good enough for his escape, good enough for his tractor.

the Wix 51348 mentioned above is that size filter, with the Fram 3600 being the larger verson there of, which equates to a Wix 51516, or MC FL-400s

here's a handy cross refrence chart i came up with a few years back for the 3600/3614 sized filters.
Short hand, the ones in the Sable/Taurus Column are the Longer versions of the filters in the Neon/Cub Cadet Column, feel free to use if you have the space.

* I haven't updated that File Since 2015, so, YMMV, some part numbers may have been changed/consolidated/eliminated, yadda yadda yadda...

My Kohler uses the same size filter and I've been using either a FL910s or a FL400s depending on what Wally World has on the shelves. A lot less expensive than the Kohler oil filters!

Also take a look at the Ecogard SE-1. SE stands for Small Engine and it's a direct cross to your Kohler filter. I use it on my Snapper tractor for 40 hour change intervals. Sold on Amazon for about $8.

Thank you all for the help and advise. I did the cut and post of the Kohler 1205001 filter and to my surprise it did have an ADV. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...t-and-post-from-2002-john-deere-lt150.334032/

The mess was less this time but not perfect. I think cutting the grass before changing was a help for sure. I used a Motocraft FL-400S ($3.97 @ WM) and some Super Tech Full Synthetic 10W30 HM ($3.86 x's 2). It was awesome to do an oil change for $12 including the filter! The FL-400S is snug and I had to reposition the negative battery cable to the engine block but it fits. This is nice because the mower now uses the same size filter as the 2005 Jeep GC 3.7L.

On mine, the filter is oriented gasket side down. I've had to change out a Fram PH3614 early before because the anti-drain back valve wasn't holding anymore. (I know, but it was free) The oil would read high at startup and the lifters would clatter until the filter was refilled. In that case a larger filter would only made it worse.

The tiny filter on the 20yr old Craftsman is gonna require surgery or brute force and ignorance depending on your attitude. Of course. It is screwed on tightly, part # down. I stuck with a black Kohler filter from Lowes because it resembles the original closely. Last yr, I changed the oil even though I left the filter in. The grass was getting high and I had to re-do the deck spindles ,etc .

Back