Kohler Courage 26HP V-Twin Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil do you guys recommend in the Kohler Courage Pro 26HP V-Twin Pro engine? I will be changing it every season. Its on a craftsman lawn tractor with 54" deck. I'm in Arkansas so very hot and humid and some cold winters. Thanks!!

YyliWoG.png
bnAL2eU.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply. I might add the mower is still in awesome shape and was given to me. It has just over 600hrs on the engine. I know its been treated well. I have no idea what oil has been used previous but it looks good and smells good.

10w-30 is specified for anything above 0F, which I assume describes Arkansas weather. OCI and FCI for your engine are both 100 hours, more frequent in severe service. I have a 14 HP Kohler and it has done great for 19 years (no mechanical problems, no unusual oil consumption) on 10w-30 M1 or Rotella T5.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Except T1 isn't rated for use in gasoline engines?

T1 was a SJ oil. However, SJ is no longer supported, so the rating was removed -- still perfectly acceptable for gas engine usage.

I used 5W-30 full synthetic in mine. The synthetic formula reduced engine temperature noticeably on hot days. It greatly reduced engine run on after the machine was shut down from a hard long mow. Started great in sub freezing weather. And also reduced fuel consumption at full throttle. I used several different brands and they all performed the same.

Briggs and Stratton tested synthetic oil in their engines and in a lab found that the engines ran 10 degrees cooler when synthetic oil was put in them.

I'd use T1 no problem in a gas engine.

OP, get a 5 quart jug of synthetic store brand 10w30 and have several oil changes plus top off oil.

I use M1 10-30 in my Craftsman B&S 21 HP engine. Uses no oil and starts very well, even in colder temps. I change it every 1 1/2 years with a MC 910 oil filter.

I have the same engine on a mower with 54" deck. I use Rotella T5 10w30. Mine only has about 170 hrs on it, but I change it every spring regardless of hours. Never uses a drop of oil, still looks like new at the end of the year.

I have a few courage i do annual services on. One running M1 0w-30 / M1 filter, two cheapo hd30 and last two run pyb5/10w-30. All run good. The two on hd30 have the tappet brother's "click-n-clack"really talking at cold start.

-Harvey

Rotella T5 10W-30, and a Fram 3600 (or equivalent) filter, if it fits.
A Fram 3614 can be used if space is an issue...

Should take 64 ounces oil with the longer filter....

Last edited:
You'll be 100% happy with the performance of this oil for your winter or summer use conditions. Only $17.47/ 5 quarts at your local store.
k2-_e4c89717-15aa-43f5-87a7-8e2c8d1b48e5.v1.jpg

That SuperTech 10w-30 synthetic would be alright by me if I were to choose synthetics.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I will use 10-30 for sure. That Super Tech syn looks good. I been thinking on the Mobil 1 to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back