Koch Chemie - Motorplast

Spring is around the corner so full detail will be happening soon. Over the years I've used Sonus Motorkote, 303 Aerospace, Hyper-Dressing and numerous LSP's on engine bay plastics. All worked very well. I recently came across Koch Chemie Motorplast. Koch Chemie is a German based chemical company as most of you probably know with a HQ's now in Georgia USA. I consider them more of a "serious" brand with no flashy marketing. Purely science driven.

I was on the fence with Motorplast because it looked similar to many of the water based dressings I've used in the past, all of which worked well. However, Motorplast can withstand temps up to 480F degrees and is Diamler approved. In addition to that, you can use it on bed liners, wheel wells and tires. The higher temperature properties of it makes it last much longer on the engine bay, where heat normally destroys the water-based products rather quickly.

I contemplated on coating the engine bay with Gyeon Trim, however, you can really get into all the cervices when coating an engine bay. With a spray on self leveling product, you can liberally spray the engine bay down and it will dry on it's own to a non-stick, non greasy touch. Additonally, you can use an air blower and get the product into all areas of the engine bay.

"Naturally shiny, water-displacing conserver for engines, housing parts, rubber hoses and power units of cars, commercial vehicles, etc., with pleasant fragrance. Treated parts regain their new appearance. The complete drying (no lubricating film) prevents dirt sticking. The power units are protected from corrosion and environmental factors by the permanently elastic protective film. Suitable for use on dry and wet surfaces. Temperature-resistant to 250°C. With Daimler approval."

It got great reviews from all the usual YT detailers as well.

This is a product that gets universal praise. I'm looking forward to trying it. I ordered their S0.02 sealant, interior cleaner and GSF soap, all of which get great reviews.

These are the results you can expect:

1679065955908.png

Last edited:
How much does it cost? I use the Meguair's Hyper Dressing but it's water based and doesn't last on exterior parts but is priced right and under the hood it doesn't get wet anyway.

110.JPG

It's $23. Not nearly as cost effective as Hyper-Dressing. The main difference is this stuff actually protects and can handle the higher temps in engine bays. Coating would be the ultimate, but trying to get a coating on all surfaces is a bit of a hassle. Plus, if this stuff can be used as a spray on self-leveling tire/wheel well dressing that lasts a few weeks that would be an additional benefit.

I'll report back once I try it.

Looks like the protection part might be an advantage on aluminum and steel parts. Not sure what the high temp aspect does. Haven't had the Meguiar's go bad from the heat.

Looks like the protection part might be an advantage on aluminum and steel parts. Not sure what the high temp aspect does. Haven't had the Meguiar's go bad from the heat.
Hyper-dressing/303 etc are fine and do the job. If you're happy with those I'd stick with it. Hyperdressing can be diluted to various ratios too so that's a plus for that product.

What type of protection is it offering? UV isn't relevant here of course. I've never thought of dressing and engine bay as anything other than cosmetic really.

What type of protection is it offering? UV isn't relevant here of course. I've never thought of dressing and engine bay as anything other than cosmetic really.
I'd say it's mostly cosmetic, but keeps plastic/rubber from drying out. Also protects electrical components. I have kept most of the engine bay plastic naked the last few months. ONR actually repels dust quite good.

I coat engine bays and wheels with an airbrush and IGL Eclipse.

If you want something more permanent
I keep up with my engine bay and it never gets very dirty. ONR actually does a decent job repelling dust/dirt I've found. That's all I've been using lately.

Last edited:
Back