Knowingly choosing dino over full-syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is some marketing advantage when selling you car and being able to tell people that you have maintained it rigorously, including using synthetic oil. It is one sign of a well taken care of vehicle. Obviously if you only did the oil changes and let everything else go to bzzt, it wouldn't help. Also, it probably wouldn't impress a buyer to find out that you used synthetic and pushed the oil change interval as long as possible.

Correct. I showed him the M1 15,000 mile "Extended Performance" bottle, and my 10K OCI records. Only going 10K on a 15K designed oil verified my maintence attentiviness. He bought it on the spot, for my asking price. Syn paid off at the sale.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
There is some marketing advantage when selling you car and being able to tell people that you have maintained it rigorously, including using synthetic oil. It is one sign of a well taken care of vehicle. Obviously if you only did the oil changes and let everything else go to bzzt, it wouldn't help. Also, it probably wouldn't impress a buyer to find out that you used synthetic and pushed the oil change interval as long as possible.

It depends on the buyer too. I bet the average buyer doesn't appreciate synthetics. Also, how would you prove that you actually used synthetics if you do your own oil changes? Any seller can just say they did

Ive only use M1 for my Ranger, because I plan on keeping it for as long as possible. When its done being a DD it will sit at the end of the drive waiting for a chore. Fully plan on keeping it 15-20 years. Any other vehicle I have had for a couple years or less drank dino or syn blend. People talk about full syn being a waste for one reason or another, but if a person is only leasing, or keeping a vehicle for a couple years,that would have to be the biggest waste of full syn as they're fill...

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

It depends on the buyer too. I bet the average buyer doesn't appreciate synthetics. Also, how would you prove that you actually used synthetics if you do your own oil changes? Any seller can just say they did

There is NO doubt whatsoever that using Syn paid off for ME at the point of sale, twice. I guess you could lie, but I didn't, and I don't. Besides, I had numerous Walmart reciepts that showed I had done M1 EP changes.

(Thats the final thought from me regarding this, thanks.)

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

There is NO doubt whatsoever that using Syn paid off for ME at the point of sale, twice. I guess you could lie, but I didn't, and I don't. Besides, I had numerous Walmart reciepts that showed I had done M1 EP changes.

If I'm in the used market, I avoid ads with "always used synthetic". It's a form of marketing doo-dee. Just because syn is used (and probably 9 times out of 10 it isn't), doesn't mean the car is taken care of.

"...yep, you used syn, I'll take it! Doesn't matter that it needs struts, ball joints, tie rods,..." Get my point?

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

If I'm in the used market, I avoid ads with "always used synthetic". It's a form of marketing doo-dee. Just because syn is used (and probably 9 times out of 10 it isn't), doesn't mean the car is taken care of.

"...yep, you used syn, I'll take it! Doesn't matter that it needs struts, ball joints, tie rods,..." Get my point?

Finally, someone with common sense!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Zaedock

Finally, someone with common sense!

Yeah,how`bout it.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Why do you do it (assuming you don't live in the arctic)?

1.) Price?
2.) Change oil at a lower interval and don't need syn?
3.) Drive an average car (like some boring sedan) that you will not keep for more than 5 yrs or so?
4.) Like to experiment & test different oils & dino gives me that opportunity sooner due to OCI
5.) ALL OF THE ABOVE
6.) NONE OF THE ABOVE

I don't use dino. I want to use dino because it is so utterly sensible in low demand vehicles. The problem is how can I when all these synthetic sales keep getting in my way.

Mobil 1 $12 5 quart jug after rebate from Walmart. Q Horsepower for $8 after rebate also 5 quart jug. Those prices are so low I figure I'd be crazy not to buy it. It has to do something better right? I got 2 of each deal so I spent a total of $40 for the next four oil changes. A full tank a gas just cost me more than that. Over the next 2 years I'm sure I'll stumble upon another great synthetic steal. I can't squeeze the dino in yet.

So I have to stop at number 1. Price - I'm only using synthetic because it's so cheap. Comparing it to free dino, I'm still only spending $20 a year more on it. I feel like it will clean my engine better. Maybe it won't. Who cares for twenty bucks?

In a world with fixed pricing. I'd run dino without question. The hardest thing to contest on this site, is that modern dino is a remarkably good product. If you don't live within striking distance of deals like this then by all means get some YB, MC or anything in spec. Dino mite.

With dino vs syn,in my experiences syn is the end all be all in the gears,tranny,rear differential,etc. But every car I`ve owned,dino seems to perform better in the engines. Makes complete sense why the Timken type tests are useful in determining gear oil performance.

Last edited:
Knowingly choosing dino over full-syn?

None of the above. Sensible economy. You threw out most severity of service. If I lived in sub-zero land - no question.

I won't buy an oil that I can't make pay for itself in avoided costs. That includes time for servicing ..disposal of waste ..etc..etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back