KN171C Harley oil filter Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley’s filter says nominal so 5@50%.

It’s Champion made wire backed Synthetic media.

It’s a nice filter unless they recently fouled it up…
Robert, Where did you find the Champion info? This makes me curious. Filter was $12 w/a 15% military discount, but has no ADBV at all (not even nitrile! 😂). Since I bought it then decided on using the XG, I may chalk this one up to research and slice it open tonight & post pics in this thread. It’s even fancy chromed, except inside the mounting surface. Almost looks like a PVD rather than a dip job…

Robert, Where did you find the Champion info? This makes me curious. Filter was $12 w/a 15% military discount, but has no ADBV at all (not even nitrile! 😂). Since I bought it then decided on using the XG, I may chalk this one up to research and slice it open tonight & post pics in this thread. It’s even fancy chromed, except inside the mounting surface. Almost looks like a PVD rather than a dip job…

Sorry times short.

Based on construction and experience it’s champ, the glue is one give away, I’ve cut a few including a fresh one, search my post started.

A friend bought a 2007 FXDL Dyna, I told him to run a TG/XG3614 or a 51348 filter. Nope, he wanted a black with no writing or chrome filter, it’s a Harley thing.

I knew those K&Ns for Harleys are nothing special, the ones for Japanese bikes that take a thimble-sized filter(6607/51356 or small Nissan OE) are essentially a relabeled HiFloFiltro.

Back in 2015 when I went by SJohnson (somehow my user name got deleted, probably from lack of posting & log in) I was emailing Jay Buckley, AKA Motorking, about Harley filters and the FRAM ultra. He recommended using the XG3614 and stated:

It works fine on your Harley. We make the OE Harley filter. That filter is a synthetic glass media filter similar to XG.

Also, don’t know if you are aware but there is a problem with the Harley filters with poorly formed louvers just like the Amsoil ones. I found this discussion over on one of the Harley forums. Check it out.

Back in 2015 when I went by SJohnson (somehow my user name got deleted, probably from lack of posting & log in) I was emailing Jay Buckley, AKA Motorking, about Harley filters and the FRAM ultra. He recommended using the XG3614 and stated:

Also, don’t know if you are aware but there is a problem with the Harley filters with poorly formed louvers just like the Amsoil ones. I found this discussion over on one of the Harley forums. Check it out.

That’s it, I’m cutting the Harley one open today. I’ll post it up and link to this thread, probably.

Yeah, I’m still a little confused on the whole FRAM/Champion Labs. Does FRAM actually make the filters? Is/was Champion Labs under the FRAM umbrella so to speak?

Yeah, I’m still a little confused on the whole FRAM/Champion Labs. Does FRAM actually make the filters? Is/was Champion Labs under the FRAM umbrella so to speak?
It is once again as First Brands. Fram took over Champ Labs, but spun it off to the parent company of Airtex. Trico bought out Fram and Champ not too long ago.

Video in post #16 ... didn't know Jesus was into filter C&Ps, but he did a nice job IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back