Klein dikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klein dikes have color coded handles to indicate the hardness of the steel in the cutting surface. Why not get the color where the steel is the hardest (blue I think).

This is another question that my Dad would know the answer to.

Last edited:
More expensive to replace when you cut a live wire? Red handled can cut a lot, blues are for steel wire I think. Harder jaws will also chip instead of deform, I've seen many a pair of red handled kleins that have visibly notched jaws from cutting soft wire only. You could also argue that if you cut only soft wires with the blue handles they will hold an edge longer, which is true.

Blue handles are series 2000 I think but I googled them quick and could only find series 2000 linesman's pliers.

Dykes in a factory get abused. They get used like pliers on small hard to grip items.

Last edited:
I take it for granted you mean Lineman Pliers.

As above stated, harder is more brittle.
They have become pretty expensive.
Last pair I bought were over $50.00 before buying the handles.
I like the pair with the built in crimper.

I probably have 1/2 dozen laying around.
The take a ton of abuse... my favorite hammer it seems.

Here's my kleins, these get pretty roached out used to cut nails screws hammer cable staples.

IMG_0116.JPG

Donald was asking about dikes. AKA diagonal cutters. Electricians mostly use a lineman's pliers Brittle and cutting aren't a good mix.

We have always called diagonal cutters " side cutters".

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andyd
Donald was asking about dikes.

Not a politically correct term these days. For cutting hard wire stock I have this Knipex High Leverage Diagonal cutter. Was reupholstering a car seat and needed to cut a dozen hog rings to remove the old cover. Tried regular wire cutters and even with two hands they hurt so bad to remove just one. Bought one of these and it was no effort with just one hand.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Jmoney7269
Snap on, only gotta cry once..... no matter how you abuse them, snap on man always replaces them for free.

There are a lot of brands that don't break.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Snap on, only gotta cry once..... no matter how you abuse them, snap on man always replaces them for free.

If you buy Knipex you won't have to get bent over by your Snap-On guy or replace them.

Win-win.

I've got a pair of Snap On diagonal cutters that I've had since I'm 19. I'm 52 now. They still work mint. I got my money's worth out of them.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Dykes in a factory get abused. They get used like pliers on small hard to grip items.

You mean hammer? Every tool we have doubles as a hammer. My work bought me a nice Channellock set and I think I've used most of the set as a hammer the most, lol. Sometimes you forget to bring one (hammer) up on the conveyor.

Although if somebody does that to my Knipex cutters or pliers I'll likely throw them on the belt and let them get loaded in a truck...

Originally Posted by kschachn

I have never broken a pair.... but they do get dull..... I use them from anything to cutting Morse cables, battery cable, cotter pins etc....... snap on man never asks any questions, just replaced them.
Shoooooot I'm pretty sure I have even cut bolts and small chain with them. I know for a fact I cut out metal wrapped up in spindles of shredders and zero turn spindles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back