Kitchenware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girlfriend bought a set of plates/bowls/drinkware from Pier One about a year ago. Needless to say half of the glasses are now gone because they break if you look at them wrong. Most of the plates/bowls have chunks missing because they chipped. By no means are we "hard on the equipment", either. Told her we should look into a new set, she got all huffy and said "Fine, then you can buy them!" Just can't win.

Time to look into some Corelle. Still made in USA, previous set I owned when I lived with the ex never chipped. My mom has had the same set of Corelle since the early 90's, none of them have ever chipped or broken. They survived my adolescent cereal eating days, so that's good enough for me.

Anyone have any recommendations for a set of solid drinking glasses? Was looking into some Anchor Hocking glassware, still made in the USA as well. Looking for something that will last for awhile, and not crack for no reason.

When you break a corelleware plate, it breaks into 10000 chards, each capable of going right into your foot and you not even feeling it until the pool of blood forms.

Still the best stuff out there...

Anchor Hocking is what I use for drinking glasses too.

This is the type of stuff I want to buy once in my life, not every 3 years....

I agree on Corelle being pretty much indestructible. It's not for lack of trying (by accident), but my Corelle plates have survived four foot drops onto a marble floor without any damage.

Corelle can be dropped many times but when it hits the magic number it shatters into thousands of shards.Like SG said,you usually get cut by shrapnel.

I like pub style heavy glasses. Everything looks better at the end of a session.

Nothing worse than thin drinking glasses.

We have the spectrum of kitchenware. I prefer metal whenever practical. I suppose the Cr, Ni, Cu, etc will get me in the end, but the amounts must be microscopic.

Originally Posted By: QuOk
Corelle can be dropped many times but when it hits the magic number it shatters into thousands of shards.Like SG said,you usually get cut by shrapnel.

Yup. When it goes out, it goes out with a BANG!

And if the gf is getting huffy about a $40 Corelle-purchase... Maybe it's time to replace her?

whistle.gif

I wish my Corelle would break already. I bought it during my uni days because it was very inexpensive, but I'd love a good reason to replace the set, which is quite ugly.

We've had a couple of Corelle plates explode when dropped in the 30+ years we have been using them. Never been cut though.

Here's why they explode sometimes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corelle

never had corelle, but about anchor-hocking: I've got 3 A-H measuring cups, found them at a kitchenware store in Portland, ME. nice stuff. I was looking for Corning ones, but they are about the same, and yes, domestic.
for glasses, we have some Russian made heavy glasses from Ikea. they were like .50/ea, and indestructable.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
we have some Russian made heavy glasses from Ikea. they were like .50/ea, and indestructable.

Lead glass! Where is that smiley with severe hair loss, kidney failure, and memory loss?

Originally Posted By: moribundman
we have some Russian made heavy glasses from Ikea. they were like .50/ea, and indestructable.

Lead glass! Where is that smiley with severe hair loss, kidney failure, and memory loss?

I said IKEA, not WAL*MART. your beloved WM is the one that sells lead laden chinese chrap for cheap.

IKEA is a good bit more responsible than that.

Originally Posted By: XS650

We've had a couple of Corelle plates explode when dropped in the 30+ years we have been using them. Never been cut though.

Doesn't quite say. Is it that the outer layers are left in compression, and the inner in scratch free tension ?

Eventually the tension gets relieved when a notch is introduced, and released catastrophically.

Or am I thinking about something else ?

I said IKEA, not WAL*MART. your beloved WM is the one that sells lead laden chinese chrap for cheap.

First of all, I was kidding. You are however misinformed. I don't shop at Walmart. Walmart isn't allowed in SF. We do have a few IKEA stores in the Bay Area. IKEA sells lots of junk made by the cheapest source. Read the labels and you will see "Made in China" et al all the time.

First of all, I was kidding. You are however misinformed. I don't shop at Walmart. Walmart isn't allowed in SF. We do have a few IKEA stores in the Bay Area. IKEA sells lots of junk made by the cheapest source. Read the labels and you will see "Made in China" et al all the time.

sorry, I was being 'lighthearted' as well. I am aware of MIC stuff in IKEA, (or even better, MIPRC) but I get the general feeling that they are more responsible in who they source from. I am big on label reading (ask my wife, it drives her crazy). OTOH, not all MIC stuff is junk (although it seems that way sometimes).
thanks for informing me about WM in SF! good to know!
blush.gif

I have some IKEA fürnïtüre. I got the Ivar modular shelving units. I also got some IKEA störäge böxes made from Russian Chernobyl wood. Just kidding, I always check furniture from unknown sources with a Geiger counter (I'm not kidding).

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Doesn't quite say. Is it that the outer layers are left in compression, and the inner in scratch free tension ?

Eventually the tension gets relieved when a notch is introduced, and released catastrophically.

Or am I thinking about something else ?

I think that I was guilty of telling you more than I knew. A bit of a jump from reading about 3 layers and seeing it act much like tempered glass.

As I was reading your post today, I was eating my breakfast cereal from a Corelle bowl. The bowl has a chip on the rim and it didn't explode. The outer layers are glassy looking and thin. The center layer is very different, almost ceramic looking but smoother. According to their literature
http://www.querycat.com/faq/c5888ee13a772ae33bc1e23b2f23d7fe
the outer layers are clear and the middle layer has the color

I assumed, and think I was correct that the three layers are fused together at high temperature then cooled rapidly to temper them which give the compression-tension relationship you mentioned.

Not being homogeneous like normal tempered glass, they do act differently when damaged. The broken bits seem to be sharper and more irregular than normal tempered glass, but still nothing like ordinary broken glass. And sometimes you can get a chip without the item exploding. The edges of the chip are actually fairly smooth.

I have some IKEA fürnïtüre. I got the Ivar modular shelving units. I also got some IKEA störäge böxes made from Russian Chernobyl wood. Just kidding, I always check furniture from unknown sources with a Geiger counter (I'm not kidding).

Chernobyl is in Ukraine.

Chernobyl is in Ukraine.

The fallout traveled long distances.

Chernobyl is in Ukraine.

The fallout traveled long distances.

Still shouldn't eat wild mushrooms, wild pigs and deer, certain berries etc safely across vast stretches of Europe and Scandinavia due to Cesium 137 contamination of the soil. Last time I checked the recommendation for easting wild mushrooms from Lower Bavaria (got hit by contaminated rain like much of Europe after the accident) was no more than three servings per year.

Wood contaminated by fallout was sold widely worldwide during the years following the Chernobyl accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back