Kirkland 0W-20 rough idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the same but how would moly have a effect on engine idle?
Many people on this board, as well as other forums, reported smoother idle when switching to high-moly oils (Redline for example), or when adding MOS2 or other Moly heavy additive to their current fill. So I guess moly does do some "smoothening" to the normal idle vibrations.

I have been using Kirkland 0w20 for the last year or so on a few different vehicles and haven't noticed any difference compared to M1, Pennzoil ect.

I'd be willing to bet it has nothing to do with the oil. Maybe something was accidentally disturbed and didn't trip a CEL?? Or nothing at all happened and your wife thinks something changed. I've been down this road before with my wife, with projects around the house, car etc. After being married for closet to 40 years I found agreeing with her and not doing anything can be very effective when I know there is nothing wrong with what she is complaining about.

Many people on this board, as well as other forums, reported smoother idle when switching to high-moly oils (Redline for example), or when adding MOS2 or other Moly heavy additive to their current fill. So I guess moly does do some "smoothening" to the normal idle vibrations.

Probably acts as a counterbalance.

If the wife said the idle was rough after you changed the oil, and its now not rough after you changed the oil again, you already know the answer and don't need a thread with useless opinions. I wouldn't bother using the Kirkland oil. Really simple.

But, don't rule out fuel quality.... different station, different octane, toptier vs non, different fuel delivery tanker.....

I'd run PEA based FI cleaner... something to consider once or twice a year depending on miles driven.

interesting since some on this site say M1 is noisy.

I assume you didn't change the filter the second time since it was only a week old. Just to eliminate oil filter issues.

some possibilities:

Did your wife get gas around the same times you changed the oil?

maybe additional noise with Kirkland was perceived as rough idle.

very rare but bad oil. They forgot to add moly (or the equivalent) like soda machine with no carbonation ...

maybe the new oil (kirkland) was having a longer than normal tribofilm war with the previous oil.

did you touch any wiring?

sounds like something intermittent or bad gas and not oil related.

interesting since some on this site say M1 is noisy.

I assume you didn't change the filter the second time since it was only a week old. Just to eliminate oil filter issues.

some possibilities:

Did your wife get gas around the same times you changed the oil?

maybe additional noise with Kirkland was perceived as rough idle.

very rare but bad oil. They forgot to add moly (or the equivalent) like soda machine with no carbonation ...

maybe the new oil (kirkland) was having a longer than normal tribofilm war with the previous oil.

did you touch any wiring?

sounds like something intermittent or bad gas and not oil related.

More likely that someone was poking the rough idle voodoo doll than any of those

More likely that someone was poking the rough idle voodoo doll than any of those
Sound, smell, color, feel, taste...all variables that are not truly quantifiable with the human senses with engine oil...but people swear there are differences. There are reasons we use sophisticated measurement devices in research and not just our five senses! These people who swear they can detect any differences sound just plain silly.

Did you know you used Kirkland oil? What did YOU think of the idle?

Meant to say, Did SHE know you used Kirkland oil?

FWIW, I have gotten a complaint like this from my wife once. after I switched her from Mobil 1 to Castrol Magnatec she claimed rough running a little ways into her OCI. I ran that oil a little on the short side to appease her.

Turns out, she had a coil pack on its way out.

Oil choice does not affect idle smoothness. Bottom line.
Correct, unless there is a difference in viscosities. My wife’s Accord idled significantly smoother (with less NVH) when it was filled with Valvoline Premium Blue Restore (which was almost a 40wt) compared to the current fill of ST 5W20.

Correct, unless there is a difference in viscosities. My wife’s Accord idled significantly smoother (with less NVH) when it was filled with Valvoline Premium Blue Restore (which was almost a 40wt) compared to the current fill of ST 5W20.
I think the subaru gets a little nosier at idle at the end of an OCI. I guess I could record it idling before and after a change with the phone and find some audio analysis tools but I don't care that much...

Sound, smell, color, feel, taste...all variables that are not truly quantifiable with the human senses with engine oil...but people swear there are differences. There are reasons we use sophisticated measurement devices in research and not just our five senses! These people who swear they can detect any differences sound just plain silly.
Measurement tools says there is a sound difference.

Measurement tools says there is a sound difference.

Eh...what they says is oil does contribute to noise reduction and that a special debugging oil decreased noise. What it doesn’t say is there is any difference with commercially available oils - especially within a specific grade. Interesting enough oil A and B were essentially the same. Next part of this research would be to determine what is the minimal decibel level difference that the human ear can detect. This paper may say something about oil and noise level but it does not support the idea 0W20 ST is noisier than Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back