Kingston 240GB SSD Drive 32.99+tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by daves66nova
i've tried adding an SSD to my Dell inspiron 1525 but it doesn't recognize it.

Some newer SSD's will have to be put into a compatibility mode to work with older systems. Not all drives support this.

SSD reliablity: it all depends. I'd not trust a cheap no name company that may not do it right (i.e. remember OCZ?) for important data. I heard the news on the street that OCZ decided to buy whole wafer of NAND from Toshiba instead of let Toshiba screen and test them first. They went too aggressive and end up with massive warranty issues and damage to the brand, and then went out of business.

For bigger brands, the issue of reliability becomes where you store them and whether they screwed up their design. Newer SSD using newer NAND may have less data retention, and when powered on will regularly refresh the memory (read patrol) like DRAM does. The specs are typically target for 1 year at room temp without being powered on, or 1 month in elevated temperature (in a car under the sun). I still have my most important data backed up on HDD and located in multiple places (disaster recovery). My HDD is something that has been around for 5 years or more and with known good reliability.

Got this SSD about a week ago and recently I installed it on my daugter's laptop. Running like a top now. It originally had win10, so the installation went without a hitch, I didn't even need to use the backed up drivers.
I kept the old drive untouched just in case something goes wrong. This way I just plug it back in and the laptop will be back and running.

Thanks for the OP for sharing the sale link
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ

I kept the old drive untouched just in case something goes wrong. This way I just plug it back in and the laptop will be back and running.

That's good, keep it that way, it is a good insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back