kids and video games

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the thing. Things are different now. That or it's the same, and it's no use trying to shield kids away from these games.

I've been toying with getting a new computer for the house. I want (need?) the kids to learn how to touch type. With the youngest finally reading I think it's time; but our XP machine is ancient. My first thought was to find a nice Win7 machine, as I truly like my work laptop. It then dawned on me that my kids would probably do better with Win8 and a touchscreen. I have little desire/use for such a beast, but they are of a different generation.

Warning: slight rant ahead due to hearing people warn others of the "dangers" of video games for far too long. It doesn't seem to apply to the OP, but it is relevant to others.

This basically amounts to the current generation being afraid/disliking that the current ones don't do what you did. That's basically what it comes down to. You would rather they go outside. Instead they want to play video games and talk to people on the internet about video games. you worry it will cause them to be antisocial.

Here is the truth. I've played video games for years. I've been on the internet since I as 13. Are my primary daily social interactions with people on the internet? Other than my co-workers, yes. But I DO have friends that I see weekly, hang out at a bar, or one of their place and play some card games.

The absolute terror that some parents have and feel they need to cut off the "epidemic" that is video games is hilarious to me. I played (and still do play) video games. I watch anime. I also have a job, and pay my own bills and do have offline friends.

In the end, it comes down to people being afraid/disliking that which they don't understand. you don't like video games, you don't understand why they wish to play them/watch youtube videos about them? Fine. You are free to dislike them all you wish. But I don't like people who insist on forcing their likes/dislikes on their children. Who knows? Maybe your kid will grow up to work for a game developer as a programmer.

Case in point, the people I know on the internet and interact with daily, are as a whole more intelligent than 95% of the people know offline. People who play video games have better reaction times and snap recognition than people who do not. Why don't people stop trying to stifle their kids interests. Limiting the time they spend on something? Sure. I can understand that and it makes sense. But trying to discourage it entirely? Or being worried about it to the point of making a thread online about it? Just remember, you were a kid once, doing things your parents probably didn't understand/like either.
wink.gif

tl;dr, video games aren't going to ruin your kid. If he's a good kid, video games won't change that. That's just what he/she's interested in.

Last edited:
Now for my non rant post:

It's really fine, limiting the time spent on it is a good idea. However, allowing him to talk about it when spending time with you is a good idea. Even if you don't understand it, it's still something he is interested in, and imo you should be understanding, and try to talk to him about it. Ask him about what he's playing, see if he'll talk to you about it. Plus, kids who play video games are more likely to grow up to be really good with computers, as they are spending a lot of time with them. This opens the door to them wanting to do stuff with computers, which is a great career even right now, and in the future, since pretty much everything will deal with computers.

Nick r, that's the other side of it too and all the things you've said have also crossed my mind, that's why I was curious if others go through this and how they deal with it.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I wasted my childhood playing Might & Magic II on the Sega Genesis. Then I spent young adulthood playing it. Then adulthood. So many hours wasted.

Correct. All that time that you cannot get back.

Most of our society has been distracted from the real issues, real enjoyment of life and being prepared for a normal adulthood.

With this mass addiction of the Teens & 20-somethings having their babies & little tykes on these screens already, what's our society going to be like in 10, 20, 30 years??

15.gif

I rest my case.

Didn't prior generations have mass additions to radio, dancing, TV, movies, smoking pot, bars, cruising around in automobiles, bowling, what-have-you?

Or are we now reaping what prior generations did to waste time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back