kids and video games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted about the Xbox one in the consumer electronics section and it got me wondering if you guys have the same issues at home that I do. Sorry if this gets a bit long winded.

my oldest son is turning 10 this Wednesday and my wife's parents are getting him an Xbox one. They were the ones that got him his first gameboy advance when he was probably 4, against my wishes I might add. Its been down hill ever since. All he wants to do is play video games, watch videos of someone else playing games, or talk about them, and it drives me nuts. We do limit him to weekends and one night during the week, and if he has trouble in school or misbehaves, he looses them for the week. We even made a rule, no video game talk at the dinner table. I'll give him credit, he does still enjoy doing things outside with me, like hiking or shooting basketball, he loved our trip to Gettysburg a couple years ago, but the part that really gets me going is that even when we drive somewhere, or visit someone, he's got his face stuck in his iPad or someone's phone. And his attitude is so much better on the weeks he looses his video games, I have so much more fun with him. I'm proud that he can figure this stuff out so quick though. My wife says I'm to hard on him, I say he's spoiled:) I like to joke with him that someday when he's old enough to drive, [censored] have no idea how to get anywhere because whenever we go somewhere, he's got his face planted in a videogame:)

I was born in 1981, so I grew up in a time where not every house hold had a Nintendo, super Nintendo, or Sega genesis. My parents didn't have a lot of money and my brother didn't get a super Nintendo out of them until I was about 10. Never did have any of the hand held stuff like a gameboy. So, I grew up and had a chance to learn to appreciate the outside world. But I'm kinda old fashioned, or old school, what ever you wanna call it. I loved listening to my dads stories about growing up in the 50's and 60's. I loved getting out in the outdoors, camping, hiking, but most of all, I just loved riding somewhere with my dad or going on a trip with the whole family and watch the world go past my window. Don't get me wrong, I often thought about video games too, loved playing them, could even waste a day every now and then playing them. But I also loved getting out and doing different things. We lived out in the country and my brother and I were often out in the woods playing " army ".

I just fear that my son will grow up without having any kind of memories other than the games he played on this trip, or that trip to somewhere. I wife appreciates the fact that I'm concerned but she seems to willing to let it continue the way it is. Do you guys battle with this stuff with your kids? I take some of the blame for not putting my foot down when he was younger, but I'm not his biological father (I've adopted him, his real father if you wanna call him that, has had nothing to do with him since he was two), so at the time I didn't feel it was my place to do that. Am I just over reacting guys? I admit, I still enjoy the ocassional video game myself, even play with him every once in a while, so im not completely with out fault either. Maybe I need to get out of my old school way of thinking and just deal with the times too. The world has really changed just in he short time since I was a kid, so much new technology at our finger tips.

I teach college. And I was born one year AFTER you, have played video games most of my life. I've noticed that in the past three or four years it has gotten a lot worse in regards to kids not having any idea how to communicate person-to-person.

The more you can keep your kid from the video games, the better. It isn't that games are bad, per se, it is that they keeps kids from learning how to communicate effectively. That said, don't eliminate them or you'll create a situation that will make it hard for him to respond to you on other things especially as he gets into the teen years. Maybe limit the iPad to educational things on road trips. Get a DVD player for behind the head rest to help take with on trips maybe.

Good luck.

We limit the time our kids play. Well one is an addict, the other not so much--each child is different. I'm guessing I will be in for a battle some day. I can tell real quick when I've let him play too long, on the flip side I generally don't give in and let let him play.

That said my brothers are about your age and IIRC they played a fair amount of video games, and they turned out ok. Well, about as well as one could expect from little brothers anyhow. They seem to be vastly more tech savy than I am.

I do fight the same thing. My son would have his nose buried in a video game all day if he could. I don't have any games on my phone so he won't keep asking for it all the time. My ex has games on hers and he is always trying to get a hold of it.

I do only have him on a Windows based computer and an Android tablet. At least using these will teach him some practical skills that can be used later.

I refuse to buy a dedicated gaming machine that will simply entice him to spend more time on the machine. A friend of his has one that I let him play when they get together, but no way I'll have one in my home.

Him watching other people play games on Youtube I don't quite get either....

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I do only have him on a Windows based computer

Gasp! I have forwarded this heinous post to Nevada Children's Aid.
lol.gif

Wow, you guys sound like my parents. They were born in the late 40's and early 50's!

Im the same age as you guys, but obviously video games are here to stay (just like rock and roll!).

Get over it already...you guys are worrying about nothing! just be happy your kids are happy and healthy!

Originally Posted By: Tempest

I do only have him on a Windows based computer and an Android tablet. At least using these will teach him some practical skills that can be used later.

I refuse to buy a dedicated gaming machine that will simply entice him to spend more time on the machine.

Same here but that didn't stop both of the kids from getting addicted to games or even (gasp!) social networking.

This new generation has their own challenges for sure.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Wow, you guys sound like my parents. They were born in the late 40's and early 50's!

Im the same age as you guys, but obviously video games are here to stay (just like rock and roll!).

Get over it already...you guys are worrying about nothing! just be happy your kids are happy and healthy!

They also need to be able to communicate effectively so they can eventually get a job and move out of the house! Too many electronic devices, including games, leads to kids becoming and growing up as zombies. I see it every day with my students - the ones that show personality, ambition, etc. are ones that didn't grow up with their eyes staring at a screen 24/7.

Ohhhhh, don't get me going on this. Can you say:

1) Video screen addiction is an epidemic.

2) Extreme social avoidance.

3) Back & Neck problems occurring from the head being down.

4) This results in more shallow breathing and shorter life expectation.

NOT GOOD AT ALL.....

WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO WAKE UP.....

My boys are 4 and 6 and they play "angry birds star wars" on a 7 inch android tablet. They get 1/2 hour a couple times a week. One launches the birds with a slingshot and the other explodes them in mid-air. And they get along which is weird because otherwise they fight all the time.

They chatter amongst themselves when not playing, about the next time they're going to play it and what the characters are capable of etc. It doesn't strike me as an obsession. I remember my parents talking about completely boring stuff at the dinner table so if they can have a few minutes of conversation, good on them.

It's rough finding them stuff to do when it's disgusting out! Mud, melting snow, rain, and 38 degrees. Once they get one set of clothes muddy they can use a change of venue.

I'm a bit younger and I grew up playing video games. But for me and my friends it was always a social thing. IE we'd get together and try to kill each other playing Goldeneye or Perfect Dark on N64. N64 was the best thing ever when it came out because you could play with 4 people at once! Two always left someone out!

Never really pulled us away from outdoor things, still did plenty of camping, boating, fishing. Than came cars, girls, college, starting career's/business.

Now that I'm 28 I'm just now starting to get back into video games, and again its a social thing when their are no games or shows on.

Your son is probably going threw a phase where that's all he is interested in, he will find something else after awhile.

Last edited:
Oh on a more positive note teach him how to code and do web design, maybe he will be bought out by Facebook when he is 23 for a few billion and won't have to worry about working or women. Women love rich men...even those with no social skills! LOL.

Last edited:
I can't imagine parents allowing their kids to sit in front of a television screen playing games, especially after a recent ISU study by Dr. Doug Gentile published in JAMA Pediatrics that correlated lower "screen time" to less obesity, less aggression, higher grades, better quality sleep and overall better behavior.

We have a close friend that is a high school teacher; she has often told us that there is a clear difference between the kids who spend a lot of time in front of the television/computer/game console/smart phone and those who have parents responsible enough to put strict limits or eliminate them altogether. And the very best students are the ones who sit down with their families at the dinner table every night without any sort of electronic gizmos, and spend time actually discussing the day's events.

I'm certainly glad that I have better things to do than sit in front of the TV and play games for hours on end-life is too short for that type of mundane existence.

My little brother used to be this way. Id always ask if he wanted to do something only for him to say no because he wanted to stay inside and play video games. Now he is the one hounding me asking if I want to do something with him. He still plays them, but not like he used to. I play them occasionally as well, but I get bored too fast.

Im not a parent, but Im willing to bet he will snap out of this phase as he gets older. I would put a stop to the granparents buying the spoiling gifts though. They shouldnt be buying them things you dont agree with. My .02

***As for the people here against their kids sitting in front of screens, what do you feel about online oil forums? You guys sit there at the computer only for your kids to see you and think thats how it should be. Every kid looks up to their dad. Video games vs oil forums. Its all electronic entertainment. Its the time spent doing them that is the issue.

Last edited:
Last night my son wanted to continue playing whatever game it is that he has on his iPod. I thought about it, decided against it. He then angled to read some of The Hobbit which is on his iPod. [Easier to carry iPod than it is to carry an actual book.] Decided that was ok, as I was pretty dead from the latest cold of the season. That went well for a bit, until the book crashed. Ouch. This weekend I had dug out the game Othello, and he then wanted to play that--so I gave in and did that.

Right now the kids love that game. Chess is a bit hard for them (hard for me!), and checkers is kinda fun. But Othello is the latest obsession in our house. I think my son gets exposure to video games from classmates, so it's not bad for him to play some of those games, perhaps he'll avoid being the social introvert his father is.

Me, I wasted a pile of hours as a kid reading books. We're cultivating that habit in our kids, but I think it will be tempered a bit with some video games.

I wasted my childhood playing Might & Magic II on the Sega Genesis. Then I spent young adulthood playing it. Then adulthood. So many hours wasted.

Moral of the story? None really, maybe some regrets for the time that should have been spent elsewhere, like dating easy women.

I can sympathize with you on this. Only thing, my son has Aspergers Disorder.

We take away his electronic privileges when he has grade problems at school as well as limit his time on the devices. He has an old school Play Station, Kindle Fire HD and a laptop and is only allowed weekend play on each, one hour at a time.

His main interest is cars and trucks and we have to constantly redirect his conversations.......then he gets frustrated. Common with his Aspergers.

He has taken an interest in shooting however as well as driving as he has his learners permit and will get his license next month. But I can say that he does not have a smart phone that he could take everywhere as I see other kids his age and younger do!

I limit my kids to some play on the weekend. None during the week, as that is reserved for homework and normal physical activities. Same with TV in general.

Its nice to hear I'm not the only one then. I do worry about its effects on him, and that's why I'm against it at times. I just wanna do my best to make sure he has a good, quality child hood, as some of my best memories are of my childhood. At the same time though, it is the one thing he's really passionate about, and he constantly amazes me at how fast he picks stuff up and how quick he can process the things he sees and react to them in he games. I should have mentioned that he has ADHD as well, and this is the one thing I see him be able to concentrate on and not get upset with himself. its just so hard for me to try and separate when its his ADHD kicking in, and when its just him being a 10yr old boy. He's a good kid for the most part, listens most of the time, and loves his little brother (18 months) to death, has no issues playing wih him or reading to him. I tend to over think things and worry to much, and maybe this is just an example of that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back