Kick down cable adjustment - too sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of months ago, I had a problem with the transmission in my truck ('00 Mitsu Pajero/Montero) down shifting at WOT. I would floor the gas to the carpet, and the speedometer would barely move. I took to the dealer, who in turn said the kick down cable "needed" adjustment and sorted it out for me. The problem slightly improved, but still continued.

Later on, it turned out my ignition timing was retarded and I had it adjusted with a timing light by the dealer. I suppose the term "came back to life" would be an understatement after that was sorted. I had complaints about excessive fuel consumption, loss of power and more than expected shuddering at idle. Slight turn on the distributor, and it all went away.

Now the kick down cable seems a bit on the "sensitive" side, but I really like the way its adjusted at the moment. At half throttle it would kick down a gear if needed, and if appropriate it even kicks down to first gear for even stronger acceleration at 60-80 km/h (40-55 MPH).

Whilst I really enjoy how responsive it is right now, could this cause the transmission to wear out excessively? I occasionally go WOT, but I'd say that makes up like 10% of my driving. Even then, I don't floor it in one go...I slowly depress the gas as it accelerates. Generally, I cruise at a steady speed and that's that. 80% of my driving is highway. Would there be any harm in leaving it the way it is? Thank you.
55.gif

Edit: Posted before I completed typing for some reason.

Last edited:
They say going the other way, too loose, will wear out some trannies because line pressure on the clutches is too low. Throttle valve ("kickdown") cables do more than set shift points on a bunch of trannies.

It would seem then that you have a bit of a "shift kit".
wink.gif

It should be set where you like it.
But if you want to take it easy, it should not be downshifting on you when you don't want it to.
Also make sure the throttle will open all the way [engine off].
Trans cable adjustments are pretty simple - study a bit about your particular setup and try it yourself.

Thank you for the responses! I've read the bit in my vehicle's service manual, and it specifies 11 mm to be ideal. I suppose there's nothing to worry about in this case. Thanks again!
55.gif

32.gif
to adjust a GM 3T40, one deliberately sets it "too tight" then floors the gas, it ratchets back to where it is supposed to go.

Purchased the seals and guides, it's just a matter of time before I am able to get around to doing them. I have to drain and refill the transmission, transfer case, axles and brake fluid as a priority before anything else.

Pictures will follow as soon as the weather clears up, I haven't forgotten!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back