Kia Sportage rear door won't open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Sportage LX 2.4L AWD. The driver side rear door will not open. Child proof locks have never been engaged. I loaded some paper work into back seat this morning. Half hour later door would not open. All other doors work fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong?
Thank you.

So it will not open from the outside or the inside handle?

If it does not open from either handle, the latch/actuator assembly is the most likely culprit. The part number should be 81410-3W000, but it would be a good idea to verify by the VIN. List on that part is $163.50 and it includes the cables. You should be able to find it online for much less than list.

As for replacing it...not sure...you'll need to get the interior door panel off somehow and get the door open.

The door will not open from inside or outside.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I can hear the lock actuator and see the inside latch move from lock to unlock.

Originally Posted by FFFEMT
Yes, I can hear the lock actuator and see the inside latch move from lock to unlock.

Well, obviously it's not working otherwise your door would open. Sounds to me like the actuator is shot.

Kinda like on an old car I had with the push/pull locks..no matter what I did the door would not open. Something inside dropped out/broke inside. It was a 3rd car, beater car that nobody drove besides myself, so I never bothered with it.

Check and see if there are any TSB's or recalls on your model year for door locks.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Sportage LX 2.4L AWD. The driver side rear door will not open. Child proof locks have never been engaged. I loaded some paper work into back seat this morning. Half hour later door would not open. All other doors work fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong?
Thank you.

If you don't open that door often it could be that the latch has corrosion on it and is jammed in the latched position. Try using a can of silicon spray with a small extension tube from the outside and spray near where the latch is at. It might free the binding part up. Follow up here. As you spray gently but firmly push with force against the door panel with slow steady motions (don't pull on the door handle yet) you might get it free. Give the fluid some time to penetrate and then try and use door handle to unlatch.

Last edited:

It sounds like a rod clip may have fallen off from the actuator to the latch. As the other poser said try pushing on it (not with enough force to distort the sheet metal) and trigger the remote while you apply pressure then try to open the door.
If it opens post back, you will need to do a few things inside the door to insure this doesn't happen again.

I thank everyone for all of the suggestions. Still won't open. The window works properly. I sprayed silicon and still won't open. Never noticed any corrosion before. I may call my repair shop who specializes in foreign cars. He is excellent and very upfront. Someone suggested checking for TSB's. Where would I look for that.

I did not see any bulletins related to this issue on your year and model. There is a bulletin for Sorentos from that era because they had problematic outside handles and Kia changed the design, but nothing like that for the Sportage.

I think the inside panel will have to be removed with the door closed, sometimes easier said than done but with a little care and patience you can usually get them without damaging them (I have no idea about yours).

Might want to consider calling a locksmith. If door panel won't come off with door shut.

It would be easy for the end clip on an actuator link to deteriorate, fall off, and the link slip out. This would be an easy fix with the door card removed. The thought of pulling a door card with the door closed... would not be my first choice.

On the car that this happened to me, it was the rear passenger door. I had a buddy come over who did car audio installs in a past life so he had more experience removing panels and he looked at it and said it was not likely coming off in one piece with the door closed. The car mostly just sat in the driveway so I never bothered with it. (that's an idea, take it to a car audio place and ask them if they think they can get it off and how much. It may be cheaper than a shop..if they can get it off you can replace whatever went wrong)

I hope you have better luck with things OP...

Last edited:
Left rear door has been repaired. It was the lock actuator latch assembly that was replaced. Repaired at a Kia dealer. Cost with 10% First Responder discount was $400.63.Plan on having the Sportage for a few years, so I couldn't ignore the problem.

Thanks to everyone that responded with suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back