Kia Soul?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

My wife is currently in need of a new car, the car we are strongly considering right now is the Kia Soul. We really like the look of this particular vehicle. Also from what I can tell it would be much more roomy than a sedan. If we purchased one it would most likely be the version with the 1.6 engine to save money.

So whats the low down on these? Does anyone know of any major defects that have affected a large number of the kia souls from any particular year, like engine issues, transmission problems, or electrical problems? Also is Kia a pretty good car company in general? We need a pretty reliable car.

I appreciate all info, thanks!

It is a really good car. The 1.6 is bo rocket på a good strong Engine. Kias in genneral is high quality cars. Only thing is they shoult have a rusttreatment from new. Atleast in danish climate.

well equipped and very cheap it's hard not to like the Kia. As long as you are strictly looking at the number of toys versus the dollar spent they are tough to beat.

Their dynamics are atrocious, but the Soul is not even intended to be shopped that way.

We both previously owned Hyundais (Hyundai owns KIA) and both were great cars. No issues whatsoever.

Not sure if it is still the same, but ours had a 3750/3 month factory requirement for severe service OCI. Hyundai automatically classifies all cars sold/operated in FL as severe service. I'm not sure about KY.

One thing to note. Use the OEM oil filter only. Others can make the engine noisy, due to a difference in oil pressure. Also, I tried an aftermarket cabin air filter in mine and noticed a big difference in air flow. The factory filters are built well and reasonably priced. No need to look elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Originally Posted By: shDK
The 1.6 is bo rocket på

You lost me...

I meant no rocket. With a bit of imagination i am sure you coult figure it out your self :)

I like these a lot, they are well equipped and great values for the money. A totally redesigned model comes out in 2014, so you might be able to get a 2013 for a good price or if you want the newest and greatest, wait for the 2014.

My only issue with the Soul is the highway ride, if you hit a bump you feel like you're going to end up flying into another lane.

2012 was a mid cycle refresh that included getting rid of timing belts, so I'd stick to 2012+ models.

I think reliability is average to good (I wouldn't hesitate to buy) and the only major problem I know about is on uplevel models the lighted speakers would catch fire, but that has been fixed and it sounds like you are looking at base models so you wouldn't even have that feature.

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
We both previously owned Hyundais (Hyundai owns KIA) and both were great cars. No issues whatsoever.

Not sure if it is still the same, but ours had a 3750/3 month factory requirement for severe service OCI. Hyundai automatically classifies all cars sold/operated in FL as severe service. I'm not sure about KY.

Not true. If your dealer told you that about Florida OCI, they are lying to you just to generate more income for their service department and for the chance to sell you stuff you don't need. Have them show you in the Factory Owners Manual. Phone the manufacturers customer service for the correct information. The correct OCI is listed in the manual.

Take for what it's worth. The Hyundais and Kias that my friends and co workers have owned have been poor in my opinion. They have had rust, interior and body pieces fail, transmission, and CV joint issues all with lower miles than I would expect. If it was my money, I'd buy something else with a proven track record.

I bought my first Hyundai in 1987,and have had several Hyundai's and one Kia since then. I have put several hundred thousand miles between them all and never had issues such as rust or parts falling off. Other than occasional recall (which all manufacturers have had) the only one that gave me any trouble was the '87 excel which had a trunk release button
that stopped working.

Hyundai makes a great car.... Some of Their engines are not so quiet but their cars last a long time and have a great warranty
87 exel was a cheap car that everyone made fun of but they ran pretty good. i remember a neighbor had one and it had over 150,000 when it got stolen in NY

Last edited:
I sure do see a lot of Kia/Hyundai on the road.
Recently picked up a 2010 (Hyundai Tucson) for a to/from work (highway 1+ hour 1-way) and so far not a issue. Got extended warranty just in case.

I still prefer the 1.5 Scion xBs. But since you can't buy that model new anymore, that makes the Kia Seoul the de-facto winner.

2nd would be the current xB. 3rd the asymmetric Cube.

I really never hear anyone who owns a Seoul complain about it. Just google consumer reviews. People really love that car.

I parked my PT next to one and was shocked at how big it was. I can't imagine it being able to go at all with a 1.6 but it does.

Yes, I know it's actually Soul. But since it's Korean, I like to call it a Seoul.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
soul-hamsters-thisorthat-large-12.jpg

I always think of the dancing rodents when I see these too.
grin.gif

I would suggest avoiding the "Hamstar" graphics package. Yes, this was actually offered. I don't know if it was official Hyundai or if dealers cooked it up, but I can't figure out why anyone would want a car decorated that way.

it is an excellent car, i can never really get used to its box shape, and the rear cargo area is deceptively smaller then it implies from the outside.

on the flip side of the coin, it is also a very popular vehicle, so do not expect much discounts on a new or used model except the strippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back