Kia oil grades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warranty is now 5years or 100000km ,but as with all S.A dealers the car has to go to them for all servicing nd repairs otherwise the warranty is null and void

Originally Posted By: Matt97
Shell 15w40 is extremely popular in S.A ,retails for R195 for 5litres

Is that the HX5 ?
Sounds like a good price to me. It's the same I pay when it's on sale here.

Merry Christmas !

IT may be an oil availability issue... How is the cam chain lubricated? Some are by splash, some are by sling, some are by side leakage on the front cam bearing. If the latter, can you drill a very small hole in the end plug of an oil gallery that will dribble on the chain? Wet chains tend to last much longer
smile.gif

I tend to do this whenever I rebuild a motor. I run HV pumps and create places where the oil can dribble on weakly lubricated areas like cam gears, etc. I do it mostly so that the chains will not "wear/stretch" so the timing stays more consistent over the life of the motor.

These issues always raise their heads when the motors accumulate high mileage. The engineers design for the warranty-life of the engine, not usually beyond. But us back yard engineers want to get much more life out of an engine. So we try to address weak areas in the design. Cam chains are one of the weakest, almost always ...

Look at an oil flow schematic for this engine if you can find one... See if there are reasonable augmentations that can be made? What is the aftermarket like for these engines in SA?

Last edited:
This car was only 4years old and 60000km .Chain wasnt noisy nor any signs of wear anywhere else in the engine .Aftermarket is good on these cars ,Kia and Hyundai are very popular here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back