Kia GDI engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from an oil change at the dealership. During our convo, I asked about severe service intervals. They didn't know of any on our 3.5 liter v6 which is MPI as far as I know. They also said that the GDI engines are having issues when going beyond the recommended oci. They are hard on oil apparently and it has lead to sludge and engine death if not changed. An example at 10k came up in the course of convo. I assume that meant multiple changes at 10k but who knows. Bottom line is they said the engines dirty the oil and are hard on it so stick to the intervals or shorter. Just an FYI based on what they said

12.gif

My wife and I have a KIA with the 3.3 liter 290 hp direct injection engine and a Hyundai with the 2.4 liter direct injection engine and do make a lot of short trips of just over a mile. Try and get some longer trips in when possible too.

Have the oil changed every 3,000 miles or 6 months whatever comes up first.

Any direct injection engine is hard on oil especially with frequent short trips.

Dealers often have specials of oil and filter changes for under $30.00 here.

The 4 cylinder engine recommends 5W20 and the 6 5W30.

I own a Hyundai 2012 Hyundai veloster, I use top tier fuel and I use tectron complete fuel system cleaner. I also use top of the line synthetic oil and change my oil at 3,750 miles. I have had problems with knocking and pinging. Ive had the intake cleaned by my dealer twice because of this . Which by the way isn't covered under the warranty. If I had the chance to do it all over again I wouldn't have a bought a car with this gdi engine. So many issues with the car so far and the now at 61,000 miles I have an engine light on. Wish I never got the car.

You are changing your oil WAY too frequently. To each his own, I suppose. What a waste.

Don't know what engine the veloster has, but I heard a story of a soul having knocking issues. 2.2 liter I believe. Was replaced with a short block And started doing the same thing a week later. Replaced again under warranty again with a long block which fixed it. Not sure what a long n short block are. This was from a dealer as well

Most people clearly don't have sludge issues because it's not a frequently posted topic on the internet as far as I can find.....

The problem with gdi is usually high fuel in the oil, so that should prevent sludge. I think they are selling short oil changes. Now having said that, if i had a gdi engine, i would run a thicker oil and probably base my oci on a uoa.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
I own a Hyundai 2012 Hyundai veloster, I use top tier fuel and I use tectron complete fuel system cleaner. I also use top of the line synthetic oil and change my oil at 3,750 miles. I have had problems with knocking and pinging. Ive had the intake cleaned by my dealer twice because of this . Which by the way isn't covered under the warranty. If I had the chance to do it all over again I wouldn't have a bought a car with this gdi engine. So many issues with the car so far and the now at 61,000 miles I have an engine light on. Wish I never got the car.

I've heard of quite a few people having similar issues. My nephew has a 2013 Kia Optima with similar issues and wishes he never bought the car.

My '13 Kia 2.4 GDI runs fine. It sounds like a sewing machine and always has--no change from day #1. 5W-20 in the winter works fine. I'm using up my stash of 5W-30 (OK according to the book) in the summer. After 7,500 miles the oil looks and smells as I expect it to be, no visible signs of dilution.

"Not sure what a long n short block are"
A long block is the engine including the cylinder heads, excluding exhaust, electrics, fuel system. A short block is the engine without the cylinder heads.

Our third Hyundai GDi. No issues to speak of. We kept our, now sold, Veloster 1.6 GDi
non-turbo for 75k miles then traded for something larger. Our work commutes are in south Florida traffic/high humidity/heat, with the 2.0T traveling only 14 miles between the work/home round trip. This is the reason for the severe service OCi. The cars have been flawless.

Have used conventional, blends and synthetics. Have also used aftermarket oil filters and don't always use top tier fuels but do 50% of the time. We do use 89 or 93 octane though (personal preference). Not one vehicle has EVER made strange start-up noise, burned oil or needed intake valve cleaning. Our 2.4 does sound like a muted diesel but that characteristic has grown on me. I would definitely buy another Hyundai/KIA, no question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back