Kia CV - 62 miles of range - charge in 4 minutes

Its going to be fun watching what happens after everyone gets a few years on their packs, and we get some real world examples of degradation.

Right now everyones going for the fastest time from 10- 75-80%, but few REALLY know what they are doing and are depending on the battery manufacturers to guide them vs do their own work based on existing designs they have years testing.

Its going to be fun watching what happens after everyone gets a few years on their packs, and we get some real world examples of degradation.

Right now everyones going for the fastest time from 10- 75-80%, but few REALLY know what they are doing and are depending on the battery manufacturers to guide them vs do their own work based on existing designs they have years testing.

My understanding of the Audi/Porsche approach is that they are sandbagging battery capacity so that "100%" is more like 80% or 75% and this is for reserve margin and battery life preservation.

My understanding of the Audi/Porsche approach is that they are sandbagging battery capacity so that "100%" is more like 80% or 75% and this is for reserve margin and battery life preservation.

Well see how the sandbag approach actually works in the next year or so.
With 350KW top end and 800V they are moving a lot of electrons.

They did a superb job on maintaining performance during drawdown (2nd gear help), but their regeneration braking has already shown it can cause battery overheating on the ring so guys that actually track these things have different problem than everyone else.

This has additional "benefits". The last 20% of charging is the slowest; so charge times may appear shorter.
Some Tesla owners who regularly drive longer distances are not charging to 100% at Superchargers due to the time required for that last 20%.
They charge to 70 to 80% and get back on the road.
The goal is not to charge to 100%; it is to get to your destination sooner by minimizing charge time.

Back