Keyless remotes don't work after programming

2001 Firebird

I got new keyless remotes, and I was able to program them with no problem. Unfortunately, they don't actually work after programming them successfully :unsure:

I followed the programming procedure, removing the radio fuse, turning the key on-off-on-off-on and the doors locked then unlocked, and the trunk opened, which is how you know you're in programming mode. Then, I hit the lock and unlock buttons at the same time, and it locked then unlocked almost immediately, indicating that programming was successful. I have two remotes, both new, same results with both remotes.

But after turning the car off and replacing the radio fuse, the remotes don't work o_O :poop:

So why does the programming work, but not the actual lock/unlock function after being programmed?

What key programming instructions are you using, as in where did they come from? Does reprograming the new remotes override the existing fobs?

I've had some hit or miss instructions in the past.

What key programming instructions are you using, as in where did they come from? Does reprograming the new remotes override the existing fobs?

I've had some hit or miss instructions in the past.

They came from the seller I bought the remotes from. Yes, programming new remotes overrides the existing ones, so you have to have all the remotes with you (the new remotes plus any existing remotes you want to program, up to a maximum of 4)

The seller is remotesremotes.com, bought from ebay

Compare the instructions you received with this:

instructions are identical

Did you have a remote that worked before getting these? Maybe get a remote tester or go a place like Batteries Plus that has one to test the remotes.

Yes, I had a remote that worked before, but that remote doesn't work anymore :poop:

It stopped working as soon as I programmed the other two :sneaky:
It worked fine before that

Yes, I had a remote that worked before, but that remote doesn't work anymore :poop:

It stopped working as soon as I programmed the other two :sneaky:
It worked fine before that
When you programmed the other two, it erased the previous one. Try and program that previous one. If it works, there is something wrong with the new remotes. If it doesn't work, there is something wrong with the remote module.

When you programmed the other two, it erased the previous one.

Yes, I know this :)

Try and program that previous one. If it works, there is something wrong with the new remotes. If it doesn't work, there is something wrong with the remote module.

I tried programming the previous remote, and it didn't work.

It does seem likely to be a remote problem, since they are cheap ebay remotes. The old one was from ebay (2 out of 4-5 worked, one failed after a year, and the other one still worked until I programmed the new remotes I just got.

At step #6 are you removing the key or just turning the ignition to OFF before inserting the fuse?

Honestly, I don't remember! I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Try this 1st:

1660448139530.jpg

THEN Diagnose :

Service Information
Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback TIS2Web SI Help

2001 Pontiac Firebird | Camaro, Firebird VIN F Service Manual | Document ID: 641200

Keyless Entry System Inoperative
Keyless Entry System Inoperative
Step​
Action​
Yes​
No​
1​
Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check?​
Go to Step 2
2​
Press each button of the transmitter one at a time.
Does the system operate normally?​
Go to Step 3
3​
Lock and unlock the door locks using the controls inside the vehicle.
Do the locks operate properly?​
Go to Step 4
4​
Operate the rear compartment release from the controls inside the vehicle.
Does the rear compartment release operate properly?​
Go to Step 5
Go to Symptoms - Body Rear End in Body Rear End​
5​
Important: Inspect that the keyless entry transmitter is the correct model for the vehicle remote system. A wrong model transmitter may pass this test, but will not activate the vehicle remote system.
  1. Turn on the J 43241 Keyless Entry Tester.
  2. Place the transmitter on the J 43241 test pad.
  3. Press each button of the transmitter one at a time.
Does a tone sound and the green light illuminate on the J 43241 after each button is pressed?​
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 6
6​
Do any of the buttons on the transmitter sound the tone and illuminate the green light when pressed?​
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 7
7​
Replace the transmitter battery. Refer to Transmitter Battery Replacement.
Did you complete the replacement?​
Go to Step 8
—​
8​
  1. Turn on the J 43241 Keyless Entry Tester.
  2. Place the transmitter on the J 43241 test pad.
  3. Press each button of the transmitter one at a time.
Does a tone sound and the green light illuminate on the J 43241 after each button is pressed?​
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 9
9​
Replace the transmitter.
Go to Step 13
—​
10​
Press the PANIC button on the transmitter.
Does the PANIC function operate normally?​
Go to Step 11
Go to Step 13
11​
Perform the synchronization procedure. Refer to Transmitter Synchronization.
Did the locks cycle and the park lamps flash?​
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 13
12​
Operate the transmitter within range of the vehicle.
Do all of the RFA functions operate normally?​
Go to Step 15
Go to Step 13
13​
Perform the programming procedure. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Transmitter Programming.
Did the locks cycle to lock then unlock?​
Go to Step 15
Go to Step 14
14​
Important: When replacing the body control module (BCM), perform the programming procedure.
Replace the body control module (BCM). Refer to Body Control Module Replacement in Body Control System.
Go to Step 15
—​
15​
Operate the system in order to verify the repair.
Did you correct the condition?​
System OK​
Go to Step 3

© 2022 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Attachments

• 1660448194651.jpg
    1660448194651.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 6
Compare the directions you have with the actual GM directions:

GM
Service Information
Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback TIS2Web SI Help

2001 Pontiac Firebird | Camaro, Firebird VIN F Service Manual | Document ID: 641006

Remote Control Door Lock Transmitter Programming
Important: All transmitters which are to be recognized by the body control module (BCM) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  2. Remove the RADIO (#17) fuse.
  3. While pressing the drivers door unlock switch, cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times within 5 seconds. The BCM will confirm entry into the programming mode by performing the following actions:
    1. Locking both of the doors.
    2. Unlocking the drivers door.
    3. Releasing the rear compartment lid.
  4. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter for approximately 15 seconds. The BCM will confirm the programming of that transmitter by performing the following actions:
    1. Locking both of the doors.
    2. Unlocking the drivers door.
    3. Releasing the rear compartment lid.
  5. Repeat the previous step to program up to 4 transmitters.
  6. Replace the RADIO (#17) fuse.
  7. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

© 2022 General Motors. All rights reserved.

I tried this, and it doesn't work
Ok - the service manual also stated that you can have the wrong fobs -they will work initially then drop off. Sounds like what you have going on. I didn't copy/paste that portion but there are different part #'s, different frequencies etc. - you may just need to try another new fob or, as a far out possibilty, the module may be bad.

Ok - the service manual also stated that you can have the wrong fobs -they will work initially then drop off. Sounds like what you have going on. I didn't copy/paste that portion but there are different part #'s, different frequencies etc. - you may just need to try another new fob or, as a far out possibilty, the module may be bad.

Good opportunity for the OP to post the FCC ID on the old & new remotes.

Back