Key broke off in lock cylinder... great find!

Well, I had the first big issue with the Jeep. The ignition has been a bit sticky since I bought it, usually requiring a couple smacks on the end of the key to be able to turn. The other day, the inevitable happened. I whacked the key, like usual, and the head fell to the floor. OOPS!

Long story short, I was able to use the remaining stub and the whack method to eventually get the cylinder to turn. Being in the clear from any unfortunate drilling, I ordered a new-to-me part/device:

Dorman Mechanical Key Relearn Lock Cylinder

Skeptical, I was. However, for $45 I couldn't see a down side. Arrived in 2 days with Prime, and it works exactly as described. Insert original key into pre-loaded mechanism. Turn 360 degrees right, 360 degrees left, and the copied cylinder pops out on it's own. Insert in the cylinder sleeve, insert sleeve in ignition housing, job done. I luckily had a spare (non SKIM) key for my truck, so I just ground down the remaining metal from the SKIM key and JB welded the head to my spare. Slightly chunkier on my key ring, but it starts the truck fine.

Dorman Mechanical Key Relearn Lock Cylinder

Skeptical, I was. However, for $45 I couldn't see a down side. Arrived in 2 days with Prime, and it works exactly as described. Insert original key into pre-loaded mechanism. Turn 360 degrees right, 360 degrees left, and the copied cylinder pops out on it's own. Insert in the cylinder sleeve, insert sleeve in ignition housing, job done. I luckily had a spare (non SKIM) key for my truck, so I just ground down the remaining metal from the SKIM key and JB welded the head to my spare. Slightly chunkier on my key ring, but it starts the truck fine.
A Dorman part that worked?!?! Quick, go buy a lottery ticket!

I had a Toyota tercel with a sticking ignition. Had to replace it In the early 90s, then the door locks were doing the same thing. Bought some used door locks from someone. The car ended up having three unique keys, one for hatch, one for the doors and another for the ignition.

So you now have a new working lock cylinder with a JB welded key?

I just JB welded the head of the chip kept to the head of the regular key. The key itself is brand new and one piece, I'd never do something THAT silly!

Attachments

• 6826bbb582b306cb25757e42adb92fc463552446-14.jpg
    6826bbb582b306cb25757e42adb92fc463552446-14.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 63
Back