kendall oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking for opinions on kendall, I know its made by conoco and the specs look good but dont see it mentioned here, I tried searching and came up with nothing but maybe I am not doing it right. I work for a diesel fleet and we just got some 6.0 liter gmc gas engines using 5w30. we use kendall 15w40XA in the diesels and I would be able to get the 5w30 GT1 synthetic blend from the same supplier.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
It looks identical to Motorcraft syn blends on the sheets....

Kendall, Phillips 66, Conoco, and "76" branded oils are identical. The spec sheets that prove that are available on the ConocoPhillips Lubricants website. All of these brands are owned by ConocoPhillips.

Same obviously goes for any oils they make for others.

At one time, that wasn't the case. There was no Kendall available in 5W-20 for instance, and it looks like a fairly recent change as I recall bigger differences between the 5W-30 and 10W-30, which now have the same pour point...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
At one time, that wasn't the case. There was no Kendall available in 5W-20 for instance, and it looks like a fairly recent change as I recall bigger differences between the 5W-30 and 10W-30, which now have the same pour point...

At one time Kendall was a separate company. So was Union 76, and so was Phillips Petroleum. But all four brands are now owned by ConocoPhillips and a look at the spec sheets on the ConocoPhillips website show that all 4 brands are now identical (for the same type and viscosity).

I am not saying, however, that all types of oil are available in all viscosities for all 4 brands, just that when they are available, they are the same.

If you are talking about the original Kendall oil from Bradford, PA(before ConocoPhillips bought the naming right), BradPenn is
the current name.

http://www.bradpennracing.com/

The crude oil from Bradford is known as the best although its current production is very limited. I read or heard from somewhere that Mr.Soichiro Honda seemed to have known what the best oil was when he started making motorcycles and cars. He even thought the reason Japan lost the war was Japan didn't have the oil from Bradford.

I've used Kendall 10W-40 and 20W-50 conventional for several years in my '69 Volkswagen. I like it for 2 reasons.
1. Kendall has good, specific info on their website about their oil so I can make an intelligent decision. (Infor Castrol won't even tell me when I email them)
2. My oil consumption seems to have gone down as soon as I switched.
I believe it's a good product.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Nickdfresh said:
It looks identical to Motorcraft syn blends on the sheets....

Kendall, Phillips 66, Conoco, and "76" branded oils are identical. The spec sheets that prove that are available on the ConocoPhillips Lubricants website. All of these brands are owned by ConocoPhillips.

Same obviously goes for any oils they make for others. [/quot

I once emailed the tech site at Kendall and asked them if their oils were the same as "76" seeing as they are the same company. I got a very snooty reply to the effect that that was certainly NOT the case.

Originally Posted By: Ken E
I once emailed the tech site at Kendall and asked them if their oils were the same as "76" seeing as they are the same company. I got a very snooty reply to the effect that that was certainly NOT the case.

I don't know when that was and obviously at one time they were different (even after the merger), but these days they are the same. You can easily verify that by looking at the spec sheets here (select engine oils for each brand).
http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/brands-products/Default.aspx

I've been using the Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend 5W30 for the last two oil changes and I haven't experienced any problems. It seems to behave similarly to the previous fills of Valvoline and Castrol GTX that I've used.

Also, the Kendall that I've been using is from the bulk tank at Firestone, if that matters.

I usually buy the kendall if the Valu Home center near me has it on sale in quarts.

Anything under 2 bucks a quart is worth it. They used to be 1.49 a quart if you bought the case.

they are close but not the same, for instance 76 super syn blend is 167 viscosity index and kendall GT1 blend is 155 viscosity index and the motorcraft is 163 viscosity index,all in the 5w30, I am not sure how important it is but they are not identical.

I use the 5W-30 GT-1 Full Syn in both the Sentra and the Miata (combined with PureOne filters), and they both seem to like it. The specs are great and the price is right. I'm probably going to pick up a case of the Ultimate Synthetic very soon just to replenish my stash.

Gary

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I usually buy the kendall if the Valu Home center near me has it on sale in quarts.

Anything under 2 bucks a quart is worth it. They used to be 1.49 a quart if you bought the case.

Not any more, sadly...

They stopped carrying it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back