Keeping oil filter w/ 2 oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Ford 302 V8, is it possible to keep the oil filter in place for 2-3 oil changes at about 1500 miles each?

I remember ppl saying that a Motorcraft filter will usually last about 5k miles - what if I just change the oil every 1500 miles three times total and change the filter then?

WOuld that ~1 qt of dirty oil cause problems?

This is done to save on $$:

1 new FL-1A is about $3

A qt of 10W-40 is about $1 (dino).

i dont see why not. most filters be rated to atleast 15K miles.

most cars manuals say to replace the filter every other oil change, of a 7500 mile oil change, thats 15K miles.

makes it seem a bit rediculous for most of us to change the filter every 5K miles or less.

wow 15k miles?!??!

Anyone know if Motorcraft oil filters would handle 15k miles?

I assume that's 15k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first?

if short trips are the reason for short interval oil changes, then chemical degradation and additive depletion of the oil is the key issue, not mechanical contamination. That's the way, I see it anyways.

So why not?

metro

Have you tried running an analysis at the end of the filters usage. The t/s might give you an indication of its suitability to continue. And give you an idea how your vehicle likes the short drain interval.

Or better yet, if the drain oil is fairly clear, submit the sample as hydraulic fluid to get the particle count.

I don't see a problem keeping the filter on there. Many people on here go 6000 miles or more between oil changes, all on the same filter, so if you're changing your oil that often, you could easily leave the filter there for 3-4 oil changes.

Metro,
I'm curious as to why you are changing oil @ 1,500 mi intervals. Do I assume correctly that this is your 1981 Thunderbird that seems to have an appetite for oil? Is the car driven so few miles in a 6 month period that you change the oil at such a low mileage? Ford's normal oil/filter change interval is 5,000 mi/6 months, oil and FILTER, though I've gone a year with no problems leaving the filter. You should be able to do that with the filter, even if you change the oil sooner. Though for all the effort to change the oil it seems like false economy to change the oil and leave the old filter on with 1 quart of old oil in it. You might be doing more harm to your engine for the sake of a $3 "savings".

Whimsey

Why are you changing oil at 1500 miles?? I'm curious.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
On my Ford 302 V8, is it possible to keep the oil filter in place for 2-3 oil changes at about 1500 miles each?

I remember ppl saying that a Motorcraft filter will usually last about 5k miles - what if I just change the oil every 1500 miles three times total and change the filter then?

WOuld that ~1 qt of dirty oil cause problems?

This is done to save on $$:

1 new FL-1A is about $3

A qt of 10W-40 is about $1 (dino).

If you are trying to do a cleaning with the oil you probably could leave the filter on unless the motor is extremely dirty.
cheers.gif

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 3400 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 76000 Miles.

Maybe its too late for me today.. But if you are trying to save money, why are you changing every 1.5K miles???

Also-I have not seen recent manuals recommending an every-other-change for filter. That was done maybe 15 years ago when filters were not that efficient. I think the bypass would be wide open on higher efficiency filters-especially in winter at 15K miles
frown.gif

The car is driven for short intervals and the oil gets contaminated a bit faster than my MPFI Fords due to the fact its got a 2-bbl carb. I like to drive aggressively and the carb just dumps fuel at WOT.

In a year I would maybe put 3000-4000 miles MAX on the car.

Unless you're going to keep this car forever, doubtful especially in New Jersey, why don't you just change the oil & filter every 2500-3000 mile, even if your burning oil. If you have the oil burning problem fixed in the future then you can "adjust" your oil/filter change interval.

Whimsey

Its not burning any oil - I don't get why ppl assume that.

It just passed NJ inspection w/ flying colors about 3 months ago - and I didn't even go to a Private inspection facility.
smile.gif

I noticed that usually at 1000 miles the oil gets pretty dark and stinks of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back