Keeping heat on the 1st floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a two story home. Boiler heat on the second floor (800 sq ft) and forced air on the first floor (1100 sq ft). Over the summer; I added 16 inches of blow in insulation into attic spaces, and new extremely efficient windows on the first floor.

At this time, we don't use the upstairs space for anything except the bathroom when others are in use.

I'm brainstorming ideas to keeps all my heat from heading upstairs. Last winter before I added what I spoke of above, my gas bills were $200+ per month with second floor heat on 55 degrees and the first floor on 64 degrees.

As you can see below, I cannot put a pocket/sliding door.

Any thoughts?

I would buy a curtain rod and hang a nice long curtain at the bottom of the stair case.

It should let a bit of warm air up, and if it gets too cold up there you can open the curtain a bit.

It is just to keep the heat on the first floor a bit better, not make anything air tight.

Maybe there's some kind of curtain you can hang? Shoot, hang two, one up top, one down low.

Is the ductwork for the forced air heating accessible or is your basement finished? I would make sure all of the metal ductwork is taped at the joints and seams or sealed with duct mastic to get most of the heat upstairs. You would be surprised at the difference this makes.

Are the new windows sealed with spray foam? I would probably seal up the upstairs windows with those plastic film kits to keep the heat in.

Are you also able to insulate the pipes in the basement for the boiler heat?

I would think you lose a LOT of heat from that window air conditioner at the top of the stairs. Insulating that inside and out for winter would be.my first move.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Is the ductwork for the forced air heating accessible or is your basement finished? I would make sure all of the metal ductwork is taped at the joints and seams or sealed with duct mastic to get most of the heat upstairs. You would be surprised at the difference this makes.

Are the new windows sealed with spray foam? I would probably seal up the upstairs windows with those plastic film kits to keep the heat in.

Are you also able to insulate the pipes in the basement for the boiler heat?

All the ductwork is sealed up nicely. Before I finished the basement I used clear caulk everywhere.

Windows are vinyl replacements, with foam filled sashes. Went from a single pane window to a double pane, top of the line, OKNA 500's.

The boiler pipes are 3/4 inch copper and are not insulated to my knowledge. I would only be able to insulate 6 feet of the run and return.

If you don't want to spend much money on it, do the curtain method above.

If you wanna do it nice, that half wall could easily be built up into a full wall with a door at the top of the staircase.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I would think you lose a LOT of heat from that window air conditioner at the top of the stairs. Insulating that inside and out for winter would be.my first move.

Today I bought the plastic that goes over all the windows. I was going to wrap that sucker as well. That unit is 20 years old and doesn't work.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I would buy a curtain rod and hang a nice long curtain at the bottom of the stair case.

It should let a bit of warm air up, and if it gets too cold up there you can open the curtain a bit.

It is just to keep the heat on the first floor a bit better, not make anything air tight.

We use a curtain rod and curtain at the bottom of our split entry lower stairs. It works very well.

If you have room, place a ceiling fan or a floor fan that will push air movement down those stairs and mix with air downstairs.

Unless you have a door downstairs to completely block off heat from rising, you will not stop all your downstairs heat from rising... Note, try the curtain idea first and see how that works out...

Last edited:
So the upstairs uses piped hot water and the first floor is strictly forced air? And you have only supply and returns on the first floor?

One thing to keep in mind is that with typical ducting,heating is great on the second floor and not good on the first floor. And obviously in cooling mode the first floor is well cooled and the second floor bakes.

Contractors rarely use appropriate ducting, never have returns in the correct positions...it goes on and on. I agree with the curtain but its not a great solution.

Originally Posted By: Al
So the upstairs uses piped hot water and the first floor is strictly forced air? And you have only supply and returns on the first floor?

One thing to keep in mind is that with typical ducting,heating is great on the second floor and not good on the first floor. And obviously in cooling mode the first floor is well cooled and the second floor bakes.

Contractors rarely use appropriate ducting, never have returns in the correct positions...it goes on and on. I agree with the curtain but its not a great solution.

Correct. The second floor was an addition done by the only homeowner before me. For whatever reason, he went with boiler heat upstairs and that one AC unit in the wall. Eventually I'm going to remove that wall unit and further explore my options. We won't have kids living upstairs for at least 5 years. I have NO vents on the second floor.

The curtain rod will have to do for now.

I've seen people use the heavy plastic strips that hang from ceiling to floor similar to vertical blinds. Strips are about 4 inches wide, overlapping so you can use your hand to part them and walk through.. I've seen them used in butcher shops to keep cold air in a room. No idea where they can be purchased.

I don't understand the fan concept. It'll cost more in energy.

If you blow cold air from up stairs to downstairs, it'll make the heater run more. I mean have we lost all common sense?

I feel like some people didn't even read the OP's first post before replying.

The lower you turn the upstairs heat the less it matters if downstairs heat rises.

I'd try some combination of a curtain and turning the upstairs thermostat even lower.
Do the curtain at the bottom if possible.

How many sq ft? What's your gas cost.

At least you dont have propane. It can cost upwards of 500$ to heat a house with propane here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I don't understand the fan concept. It'll cost more in energy.

If you blow cold air from up stairs to downstairs, it'll make the heater run more. I mean have we lost all common sense?

I was just wondering what the heck these guys were talking about
33.gif

OP, can you build a downstairs? If you don't want to do this, then install a curtain downstairs. A curtain upstairs won't save much energy, since the heat will still rise and build up at the top of the stairs, even if the curtain is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back