Keep the 06 grand caravan or upgrade

Hey everyone. We have been tossing around the idea of trading in the 06 grand caravan for a newer option. Our van has 126,000 miles and mechanically is pretty solid. A couple of things that will need addressed at some point. The rear leaf spring bushings are degrading no play or anything but the outside of the bushing on both rear leaf spring hangers is torn on the edge of the bushing. The headliner needs redone as it it tacked up currently. It'll need tires in a couple months and does have the dreaded lower rear quarter panel rust that so many of these vans get on the passenger side. (Right behind rear sliding door in front of the rear tire)
If we traded up we would look to spend around 7-10k on a newer minivan or something like a dodge journey. Other than the rear leaf spring bushings our van is mechanically solid and has been reliable. Hasn't broken down and the issues it has had have been all small. EGR valve alternator and valve cover gaskets is all I've done. Also a few days ago I did the power steering tsb to install a longer hose which was easy and cheap. It relatively reliable cheap to own but because of it's age I do get concerned about using it for vacations far distance trips . That fear is probably silly. What do you guys think. Trade up or hold on to it?

Can you share the TSB info, my mom owns a 2005 Voyager down in Mexico. I still much prefer the mini van over a Dodge Journey.

If a vehicle has traveled many miles and has proven to be reliable, why do we reflexively believe that it won't continue to be that way? If it went that far, what says it can't go that far again. I get it, things wear out but if they are attended to what makes us so quick to doubt the chances it will continue to be reliable? We replace all of our cells every 7-10 years yet the actuarial tables predict women and men will live until about 74 years old.

1637964313188.jpeg

I really enjoy these, until the electronics start cascading failures. By now it’s probably not worth much, but next year it won’t be worth much less than it is now. I’d hang on to it while you’re still in the sweet spot for reliability. While doing so, I’d start a separate savings account in the back, and put a “car payment” in monthly, like $350. In two years, when it’s time to sell the van, you’ve got a sweet down payment!!

I would keep that $7-10k in the bank and keep the van. You've been driving it and know that it's been pretty reliable, plus it only has 126k miles.
I've seen these Dodge Grand Caravans and Chrysler Town and Country's with the 3.3 and 3.8 with more than 200k on up to 300k and still kicking.
Routine maintenance will take these Family haulers a long way. If the need arises, parts are cheap and they're relatively easy to work on.

I had a 2000 T&C until 2015. It was a great van. Had normal issues like any car will. You will begin spending money on it before long, but the amount will be less than the average monthly payment. Start setting aside the money now (808 a month for 48 montths) and see how that feels compared to what you are paying now. 808.00 will fix a lot of things on these vans. 808.00 will pay for a 4 wheel brake job at a national chain, 808.00 will pay for an alternator and install. It will pay for an AC complete overhaul in about 3 or 4 months.

If you have property taxes like we do, they go down each year you own the vehicle. Max is 15 years.

A new car is always an emotional decision based on what you want versus what you need versus what you have. Then you factor in things that are not measureable, like is it reliabile, how much longer will it last, etc.

Just think about that 808.00 in TEN months. That's over eight thousand dollars. What can you fix on your car with that kind of money?

I'd jack it up or put on a lift and use a flashlight and pick to poke at all potential rust areas and go from there, guessing how much life it has left.

Buy a new Kia Carnival. You can get a new one for $808 a month for 48 months at .9% interest and $3807 down.
Maybe it's just me, but $808 a month seems insane. With down payment that's a total of $42,591.

OP, I'd keep your Grand Caravan until the World's financial future becomes more clear. IMO, taking on debt or spending your savings is not wise at this time. And, it sounds like your Grand Caravan has served you well so far - and will probably continue to do so.

Scott

Last edited:
Keep piecing it together until you can't. It's your choice when it happens. I have an 03' Toyota Matrix with 106k miles that I plan on keeping until it dies, or becomes economically unviable to keep it. The way I see it, I'd rather spend $500 per year on repairs compared to $5000 per year on car payments.

The rust is the only real concern there, if you think you can keep it at bay and get a few more years out of it, I'd to that.

It’s too bad the market is so ridiculous right now. In 2016 my grandma bought a 2 year old Grand Caravan SXT with 27k miles for $16.5k. Looking online that would be $28k.

Would be perfect to get out of old cars that need work. Oh well.

Maybe it's just me, but $808 a month seems insane. With down payment that's a total of $42,591.

OP, I'd keep your Grand Caravan until the World's financial future becomes more clear. IMO, taking on debt or spending your savings is not wise at this time. And, it sounds like your Grand Caravan has served you well so far - and will probably continue to do so.

Scott
$808 a month is insane especially on a depreciating asset! I am probably in the minority but If I can't buy a car with just 1 payment then I don't want it. You can fix a lot of broken stuff for $800 a month and still be money ahead

Those things last quite a long time other than rust they rear axle will rust out at some point but not a big deal to replace. The brakes are sorta crummy and don’t last long

A few guys I work with drive the crap out of them and they keep going with little up keep considering

I say keep and keep driving it doesn’t sound like anything other than the tires actually need replaced anytime soon

I'd jack it up or put on a lift and use a flashlight and pick to poke at all potential rust areas and go from there, guessing how much life it has left.
It's surprisingly clean and not rust at all except in the one area on the rear quarter. The underneath doesn't even have surface rust anywhere. Subframe doesn't either. Literally super clean it was very well cared for the one common spot is just that a common thing I've seen 2014-16 dodge vans doing the same thing to it's a problem they never fixed I guess.

Keep it. Create a savings account and deposit in it every month a new "psuedo car payment". You will be happier for doing it. Oh yes, and I know....savings accounts dont pay any interest these days......this ETF could be a subsitute for that (ticker symbol NUSI).....current yield is 7.51%, and yield is paid monthly.

Disclosure - I am not an investment counselor, stock broker, or even play one on TV. All investments come with a risk of loss of principal and or accumulated earnings. Enter the stock market at your own risk, or seek out a qualified investment professional prior to making a purchase.

You really don't want to buy a new car if you don't have to right now, due to crazy prices in the current market!

Buy a few cans of Noxudol (or if you're lucky, there's an application center nearby)

I really enjoy these, until the electronics start cascading failures. By now it’s probably not worth much, but next year it won’t be worth much less than it is now. I’d hang on to it while you’re still in the sweet spot for reliability. While doing so, I’d start a separate savings account in the back, and put a “car payment” in monthly, like $350. In two years, when it’s time to sell the van, you’ve got a sweet down payment!!

This, 100%.

Vehicle prices are at an all time high. No reason to get rid of a very low value working vehicle, just to pay a premium for a more desirable one that will carry a higher cost due to the crazy market.

Rust is a concern, but since it is known to be there, it’s just the signal to start preparing.

Back