Keep and repurpose used motor oil?

Used motor oil and I suppose gear oil has got some heavy metals in it, so its not great to put on surfaces you touch. As for a preservative, its ok but doesn't penetrate much.
My hay wagon came from the retiring farmer across the road and he coated it with gallons of oil but the wooden beams still rotted out while looking near perfect on the outside. Even the 1.25" decking was rotting in the middle in some boards. I guess it might work if applied every spring and fall or something like that.
I used some in the chainsaw oiler but you end up with a smelly saw, and your chainsaw clothes stinking as well. New cheap motor oil is fine to cut into chainsaw oil though, no smells.

View attachment 57207You could always do the ultimate recycle
LOL this is what my dad did back in the 70s! Nowadays even he takes his used oil to the local AZ or Advance store. In all fairness, back then, we only had one parts store within 10 miles and no one accepted used oil. Times have changed...for the better!

Edit: I just noticed this is an old thread that was recently resurrected! Still entertaining/educational to read the various approaches to recycling old oil.

Last edited:
Back